PS deal should include free buses: union

Started by Buzz Killington, February 05, 2010, 10:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

The CPSU has backed an ACT Government proposal to offer free bus travel to the Territory's 18,000 public servants.

The Government flagged the idea in last year's Environment Department annual report in a bid to make the public service greener.

As part of its latest wage negotiations the union has asked for a 4.5 per cent pay rise but the Government is offering less.

The Government this week lifted its offer from 1.5 per cent for four years to 2 per cent for the first year and 2.5 per cent for the following three years.

Union spokesman Vince McDevitt says the deal should also include free bus travel.

"We think anything that potentially alleviates parking issues, traffic, gets more people on the buses is good for the environment and at the same time can help us assist attracting and retaining employees to the local public service," he said.

"It came from our membership, we put it on the table and we hope government considers it and comes back with a favourable response."

Irisbus Rider

A good idea in theory, it definately has merit, but who will pay for the multitudes of extra buses ACTION will need to cart all of these passengers travelling for free?!

I don't agree with them being able to travel for free, perhaps, if tickets were substantially discounted, then that would be enough incentive to get them on the buses. If this went ahead, there'd need to be more services put on, which would be great, for all commuters.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on February 07, 2010, 12:42:40 PM
who will pay for the multitudes of extra buses ACTION will need to cart all of these passengers travelling for free?!

The taxpayer, naturally. Of course, they could just hire some old RG197K's from STA like they did last time they needed some extra buses..

euronymous

No, no, no, no. The only public servants who should be getting free bus travel are Action employees. You want to get a bus, you pay for it like everyone else does.

The government would be happy to give free bus rides to all the fat pubes that sit behind a desk all day, doing fuck all. I bet they wouldn't consider in a million years providing a bus for Action employees to get to work...

belcodriver

Don't get your knickers in a twist my dead Norwegian colleague, this is just another example of the unions siding with the bosses against the workers. The govt and unions are trying to sell their pathetic 2% wage offer with the meagre perk of free buses. While nominally worth about $1000/yr I doubt too many Public Servants who don't already get the bus would just because it became free.