RIP - Peter Leonard

Started by Buzz Killington, September 24, 2008, 07:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

104.7 have just reported that former Win News presenter Peter Leonard has passed away at the age of 66.

RIP Peter.

Irisbus Rider

Yes, RIP to a man who was described as an absolute gentleman. He is a veteran of the Canberra media, was excellent at what he did, and will be missed dearly.

All my best wishes go to his family, friends and fans.

lukeo25

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( me sad. he was the very first newsreader i saw when i came to canberra in 2005

R.I.P.

Snorzac

He was a great news reader. Very sad to here that he died at a young age

Busnerd

im sure there will be a moving montage on win news tonight, so if someone could record it.

Busnerd

Tributes for newsreader Leonard
BY CLAIRE LOW
24/09/2008 10:49:00 AM
A respected Canberra broadcaster of 45 years, Peter Leonard, died yesterday.
Leonard, 66, best known for his 15 years as WIN News anchorman, lost a long battle with mesothelioma.

Leonard, originally of Yass, lived in Canberra for more than 50 years. A fixture in the homes of many Canberrans on weeknights, he ended his career with WIN on July 20 last year.

Before his retirement, he told The Canberra Times, ''It's a privilege to do this job. You get a view of the community like no other job lets you, and it really is a privilege.''

Leonard boarded at Canberra Grammar School. He did five years of work experience at Radio 2CA before accepting a position as presenter with the station, where he stayed another 10 years. For the next 20 years, he presented news and current affairs for radio and television at the ABC in Canberra, before joining WIN.

His family led by Leonard's wife, Gwen said in a statement, ''Peter was a wonderful, loving and caring family man.

''While best known as one of Canberra's most recognisable media personalities, his family will remember him as a man who always put the needs of others first, for his wicked sense of humour and his total loyalty and commitment to those closest to him, be they family, friends or work colleagues.''

The family thanked all those who supported him both during his Canberra media career and while he fought his illness.

Funeral arrangements will be announced in the next two days.

Chairman of WIN Corporation Andrew Gordon said, ''The management and staff of the WIN network are deeply saddened. He was a much valued member of the team for 15 years as the face and voice of local news in the ACT.

''He was a mentor to many, a true professional and a charismatic man. Above all, he was our friend and we will miss him.

''Our heartfelt sympathies are with Gwen and his family at this time.''

Friend and former colleague Jeremy Lasek said, ''He was like a father, brother and a good friend all rolled into one.

''I think much of the success of not only WIN News but WIN Television can be attributed to Peter,'' he said.

''He made an enormous contribution, he was passionate about his work, he was totally dedicated and committed.

''He showed great attention to detail and I think he was a remarkable face for the news.

''He was a great supporter of young people starting their careers in the media and generous when sharing his knowledge and expertise.

''I just know everyone who came into contact with Peter had the highest regard for him. He will be very greatly missed.''

Leonard is survived by his wife Gwen, his children Matthew, Nathan and Natasha, and his grandchildren.

CanberraTransport

A post I made on MediaSpy:

It was with great sadness that I learnt of Peter Leonard's passing this morning. As a loyal WIN News viewer for many years now, I developed an appreciation for his excellent ability to present a bulletin - soon establishing that, in my opinion, he is the best newsreader to date. To each bulletin he would add an element of entertainment, humour, and a ready wit. He also transformed WIN News Canberra so that it would become a well-respected and more credible news service. Another program which Peter was involved in was the ABC666 Radio afternoon program, in which he made a weekly contribution to a panel show.

Peter was a true gentleman, and a genuine professional. He will be missed by all. Condolences to his wife Gwen, other family, friends and colleagues.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Leonard.

Buzz Killington

Didn't have time to type much this morning, so I thought I'd add in my litte bit.

Very sad news to wake up to this morning. Growing up in Canberra, Peter was the main presenter on WIN News for as long as I could remember, and although I never met him, everything I have heard about him from other people or have read about him has always said that he was a genuine, kind-hearted and brilliant guy.

Canberra as a whole will miss him, so Rest in Peace, Peter and my condolences to his family.

Here's another Story, from TV Tonight (although sourced from the Canberra Times)

QuoteVale: Peter Leonard
By David Knox on September 24, 2008 Filed Under News Former WIN TV newsreader Peter Leonard, died yesterday. He was 66.

Best known for his 15 years as anchorman at WIN Canberra, he lost a long battle with mesothelioma.

Leonard retired from WIN in July last year after being a fixture in the homes of many Canberrans. ?It?s a privilege to do this job. You get a view of the community like no other job lets you, and it really is a privilege,? he said at the time. He lived in Canberra for more than 50 years.

Leonard did five years of work experience at Radio 2CA before accepting a position as presenter with the station, where he stayed another 10 years. For the next 20 years, he presented news and current affairs for radio and television at the ABC in Canberra, before joining WIN.

His family led by Leonard?s wife, Gwen said in a statement, ?Peter was a wonderful, loving and caring family man.

?While best known as one of Canberra?s most recognisable media personalities, his family will remember him as a man who always put the needs of others first, for his wicked sense of humour and his total loyalty and commitment to those closest to him, be they family, friends or work colleagues.?

Chairman of WIN Corporation Andrew Gordon said, ?The management and staff of the WIN network are deeply saddened. He was a much valued member of the team for 15 years as the face and voice of local news in the ACT.

?He was a mentor to many, a true professional and a charismatic man. Above all, he was our friend and we will miss him.

?Our heartfelt sympathies are with Gwen and his family at this time.?

?He showed great attention to detail and I think he was a remarkable face for the news,? added former colleague Jeremy Lasek.

?He was a great supporter of young people starting their careers in the media and generous when sharing his knowledge and expertise.

?I just know everyone who came into contact with Peter had the highest regard for him. He will be very greatly missed.?

Leonard is survived by his wife Gwen, his children Matthew, Nathan and Natasha, and his grandchildren
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/09/vale-peter-leonard.htm

Buzz Killington

First story tonight on WIN News was a tribue to Peter. I have recorded it and will hopefully have it online later tonight.

WIN have set up this address for tributes: tributes@wintv.com.au

Peter's Funeral will be held at All Saints Ainslie, next Monday

CanberraTransport

WIN News did a very good tribute to him tonight.

It dedicated the first story to him - providing an insight into his career, illness, and general life.

At the conclusion of the bulletin, a few highlight clips were played in time with 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' by Simon and Garfunkel.

Buzz Killington

You may need to wait for it to process..

the post-weather part is coming too.

CanberraTransport

As mentioned on MediaSpy, thank you for uploading those - but you are missing a fair portion of the first clip.

Buzz Killington

As mentioned on MediaSpy, not sure what happened but will reupload at some stage.