New bus stops on Emu Bank

Started by Barry Drive, November 29, 2009, 02:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

I noticed yesterday that 2 sets of bus bays have been marked and sign-posted along Emu Bank. No Bus Stop blades or Signal Bus stickers have been installed yet.

The first set is near the intersection with Benjamin Way - right near the Belconnen Arts Centre; the second set is near Subway. Not sure they'll be very useful since only route 45 goes that way, but it will provide a better stop for Westfield than having to travel all the way along Emu Bank then Cameron Ave.

Irisbus Rider

Yes! It's about time! This should have happened a long time ago.

Generally, I'd say it's just important to provide that public transport link for the Belconnen Lakeside area. Even if it isn't used too often, at least it is there.

Good to see though, ACTION have put stops on Nettleford St, and now Emu Bank, pleased to see thery're servicing some of the public transport deprived areas in the Belconnen Town Centre.

Now we just need a service on Totterdell St and the far ends of Lathlain St (we'll never see that again, ha)!

Snorzac

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on November 29, 2009, 10:20:29 PMfar ends of Lathlain St (we'll never see that again, ha)!
The could easily make it work

Irisbus Rider

Not if they want the route to travel through all three (temp and permanent) bus stations, which I see being the case for a long time to come.

Although, thinking about it, the Bunnings Belco Markets stop could be serviced, then travel up Nettleford. The issue I see is at the Luxton St end of Lathlain St.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on November 29, 2009, 10:53:37 PM
Not if they want the route to travel through all three (temp and permanent) bus stations, which I see being the case for a long time to come.

Although, thinking about it, the Bunnings Belco Markets stop could be serviced, then travel up Nettleford. The issue I see is at the Luxton St end of Lathlain St.

Umm, what's wrong with taking a left out of the Cohen Station onto Josephson, right onto Luxton and right again onto Lathlain?

Irisbus Rider

It doesn't provide a direct link between the two bus stations, in where all bus routes were supposed to travel directly between the bus stations.

Buzz Killington

Its close enough to being a direct link, and its only on the one route anyway!

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, that is true. To be honest, that solution you brought forward didn't even cross my mind, but it works. Might be something to look at for perhaps a novelty route such as the 71, 73/74, or maybe even something like the 3 or 7.

route56

i reckon a belconnen central bus loop would be good. its pretty big and walking takes along time. if it run very 30 minutes lots of people would use it. lunch at macccas then bus to bunnings.

Barry Drive

Quote from: route56 on November 30, 2009, 04:31:15 PM
i reckon a belconnen central bus loop would be good. its pretty big and walking takes along time. if it run every 30 minutes lots of people would use it. lunch at macccas then bus to bunnings.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Add in the new aged-care village on Aikman Dr and maybe the residential areas of Emu Ridge and Totterdell St and you'd have a winner. Run it as a free bus and use Darts.

Of course it's never going to happen, but it's a great idea.

Buzz Killington

Definitely a good idea given how spread out the town centre is. We can dream!

Irisbus Rider

Yes, I'll echo that praise, it is a superb idea!

Considering the spread out nature of the Belconnen Town Centre, and the high number of Residential developments in the area, it would be a sure fire winner. Considering the NSW Government have funded and implemented free loop buses in recent times, perhaps the ACT could follow.

Irisbus Rider

After looking at a map, potentially, the route could travel:
Cohen St Bus Station > Cohen St > L Nettleford > R Lathlain > L Lathlain > R Market > R Benjamin > L Belconnen > L Eastern Valley Way > L Hennessy > L College > R Chandler > R Cameron > Cameron Av Bus Station > C Aikman > L Emu Bank > R Joynton Smith > L Totterdell > C Totterdell (to Luxton St) > L Luxton > R Lathlain > R Cohen > Cohen St Bus Station.

This was just quickly drawn up visually by looking at a map, If anyone can see this done better, feel free to post!

Barry Drive

Does nobody read maps anymore? It's NettleFOLD Street. I've already had to correct Lemon about this:

Quote from: Martin on August 14, 2009, 03:08:55 PM
"Nettlefold" street, not Netterfold.

Named after Sir Thomas Sydney Richard Nettlefold (1879-1956), Lord Mayor of Melbourne 1942-45. Read his online biography here: http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A110004b.htm

Back to the topic at hand: I was thinking something similar except instead of Cameron Ave - Aikman - Emu Bank it would go Cameron Ave - Aikman Dr - Joy Cummings Pl (turnaround) - Aikman Dr - Emu Bank - Joynton Smith ....

Irisbus Rider

Nettlefold, got it!

Ah, yeah, that's a good addition, as you mentioned, that new retirement village would provide a lot of additional patronage.

Barry Drive

To revive an old topic, last night (due to roadworks and curiosity) I decided to find out whether the roundabout at Joy Cummings Place could cope with an Irisbus using it to make a U-Turn.

Result: no problems at all.

Bus 400

These stops now have a bus stop closure notice on them.