woden depot

Started by CNG, August 20, 2010, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Woden depot become a fully operational depot, similar to Belconnen and Tuggeranong?

Yes
2 (66.7%)
No
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: December 18, 2010, 09:13:42 PM

CNG

I think its time we had a depot operating for the woden and western creek areas

Barry Drive

Or at least read a map!

CNG

what do you mean? western creek is next to the woden area, I should know I use to live there. I also believe that such depot should open in order to reduce dead running. I didn't think there would such a problem in abbreviating belconnen and tuggeranong as 'belco' and 'tuggers'

Barry Drive

Or try Google. You've lived in Canberra how long? And you never noticed that it's not "Western" Creek. Do you not pay attention to road-side signs or bus destos?

CNG

sorry my mistake Martin. "Weston Creek"

smitho

ORIGIN of "WESTON" as in Weston Creek......Thomas Charles George Weston MBE (October 14, 1866 - December 1, 1935) was an Australian horticulturist and was responsible for the afforestation of Canberra.

Weston was born in Middlesex, England. He trained as a horticulturist in the United Kingdom and migrated to New South Wales in 1896. He was employed as a gardener at Admiralty House in Sydney from 1898 to 1908 and as the superintendent at Federal Government House, Sydney until 1912. He managed the State Nursery, at Campbelltown between 1912 and 1913, and was appointed officer-in-charge of afforestation, Canberra in that year. He held that position until 1926.

In Canberra he carried out extensive scientific breeding trials to increase the number of species that might grow in Canberra. He also established the first plantation forest on Mount Stromlo. Nearly 1.2 million trees were put in between 1921 and 1924. Weston Park, a large park in Canberra, is named in his honour. He died in Turramurra and his ashes were scattered in front of Old Parliament House in Canberra. [1]