Sylvan's Drawing Collection

Started by Sylvan Loves Buses, October 14, 2020, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

No longer will I be creating new topics to test users of this forum, but thank you very much to all of those who participated and broadened my vision. From now on I will post my monthly drawings on this topic and you may use this topic to also view all the previous drawings of the collection.

As I will be continuing I won't always have the inspiration for each drawing. If you have anything you'd like to see/challenge me with for a future drawing, please post them here and I'll add them to this list.

Check back here every month or so to see the updated images at the bottom (as edits don't show on the recent activity feed).
I'll be checking back on here every now and again to add details to each drawing.

Sylvan Loves Buses

1. Torrens Terminus
Not the first of my landscape drawings, but the first of the collection. Starting off at a randomly picked ex-bus terminus of Canberra lies what became the foundation of some of my most amazing works, and even to this day, this drawing is still one of my favorites. The way I perfectly drew the MAN bus from a photo and with the details of the residents gardens in the background.
A MAN SL200 bus is seen arriving at the Torrens Terminus with route 9 Woden on its desto. This bus and its desto were requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Barry Drive'.

2. Red Hill Terminus
One of many drawings I will look back on in shame for the horrendous mistakes made for my bus drawings when it comes to 'drawing a bus at the size that it should be'. For drawing #2 I depicted two buses passing through the Red Hill Terminus, and although the landscape was well done, I really needed to do a better job with those buses.
The Scania Artic Bus 535 (School Bus 500) and Euro 6 Scania Bus 565 were requested by forum.actbus.net user 'King of Buses'.

3. Weston Creek Terminus
Ignoring the kerfuffle that occurred with the naming of this terminus leading me to screwing up this drawing big time from how traumatized I was... This drawing could've come off nicely had I not been so stubborn and taken the perspective advice given to me by my mum who has the experience in art from her college days.
Bus 725, an ex-ACTION PR:180.2 articulated bus looks as though it should be in another location given the ridiculous turning angle it's been given but nonetheless was requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Buzz Killington' with route 26 displayed.

4. Theodore Terminus

After drawing two unfortunately horrific drawings, I thought I would challenge myself and try to do a full drawing whilst at the location all in one go instead of spacing it out over a week or so. I feel as though I did it quite successfully, even if the details were lacking a little. This drawing was completed in just under four straight hours and remains the quickest 'done on the spot' drawing to date.
The Euro 5 MAN Bus 503 (31 to City) and Irisbus #310 were requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Bus 503'.

5. Spence Terminus
This drawing took on a much different approach than my past couple of drawings. Although it took me some time to shift from my obscured perspectives and not draw from an above angle looking down, this drawing (with help from my mum) was the first step to looking at things at the right perspective. If you look closely, you can see the rubbed out lines of several attempts of me trying to get bus 490 right with each mistake leaving another irremovable imprint on the page.
NSW Evaluation bus 490 and Renault PR:100.2 bus 953 were requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Skitube', and I thought I'd put in Irisbus 307 with route 15 for the hell of it.

6. Woden Bus Interchange (from the roof perspective above plt. 14)
After getting some help from my mum, I went in the complete opposite direction with this drawing going back to my 'downward' facing angles. What could've been something nice turned into a "oopsie, I didn't mean to take that photo" moment. Unfortunately with my mishap I didn't draw what would've been something to remember now with the horrific hotel that's been built there, so that's another slap in the face for me.
Scania bus 350 is arriving with Renault PR:100.2 #953 and a random CNG MAN are parked in the old set down. These buses were requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Busfanatic101'.

7. Mitchell Cemetery
Finally a drawing where the perspective is correct (somewhat). This drawing includes three of the most infrequently requested items in all of my collection, but thankfully forum.actbus.net user 'King of Buses' challenged me with drawing Renault PR:100.2 bus #982 with one of its Aboriginal AOA's, with a bike rack (and bike), a peg and a black cat in the background. Had a lot of fun with this one, and it was indeed a good challenge. Going with the Cemetery theme, King of Buses also asked me to draw a hearse, but unfortunately my car drawing skills are nothing compared to my bus skills, so I was not able to accomplish this.

8. Cooleman Court
Tried a few things in this drawing. A front shot of a steer-tag, doing the inside (badly), making it appear as though it was raining (also badly), not some of my best work but with the bad parts aside I did enjoy drawing the bus stop sign. It's just unfortunate the day I went to do this drawing it was close to 0 degrees, so after 30 minutes my hands were frozen stiff trying to finish the drawing. When I did eventually finish the drawing I noticed I had forgotten to include my copyright/watermarking and decided to add it as the desto. I had to cheat a little however as I technically finished the drawing on the 24th of the month even though the only routes through there at the time went as low as 25. Bus 483 was requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Bus 503'.

9. Tuggeranong Bus Interchange (plt. 5)

Still one of my greatest drawings to date. This drawing was done in over 7 hours over 3 locations. The first 4 hours I spent on a single Dart bus travelling continuously round and around the City Loop service till I captured every little detail of the interior of a Dart as I could. The drawing was so good in black & white, I could've left it as it was and called it done, but I wanted to capture the rest. I had many troubles getting the interior colour right, including buying a new coloured pencil set to try and simulate the bluey-green of the walls, but neither set was right. After spending two separate days drawing a Dart interior I headed to the Tuggeranong Bus Interchange to draw in platform 5, only to screw the right side ruining what could've been a masterpiece. The only recognizable part of the Interchange would be the brick wall.

10. Fyshwick Terminus
After doing one interior of a Dart, I thought "why not do another?". So for the Fyshwick drawing, I did just that but from the outside in. Buses Renault PR:100.3 #997 with its Nara - Sister City AOA (route 80) and Dennis Dart #136 (route 86) were requested by forum.actbus.net user 'King of Buses'.

11. Campbell Park Offices

Renault PR:100.2 bus #777 is seen parked outside the Campbell Park Offices. There's not too much to say about this drawing other than I enjoyed drawing the kerbs, the building and the shelter as they were something different and another challenge to drawing. The bus was requested by the forum.actbus.net user '743'.

12. Farrer Terminus

Was a little stumped for ideas for this drawing, so after some time I decided to add one of my concept drawings from a bus driving game I created over a decade ago based of the Renault PR:100 series buses. Although of course it doesn't exist, I thought a steer-tag version of the PR:100.2 would be cool - and I also created an artic and a double artic variation of it too - my own livery also. Although the time of this drawing meant the pink bush in the background wasn't in season, I cheated a little to add a little more life to the drawing as there was too much white from my concept livery.

13. Narrabundah Terminus
Renault PR:180.2 bus #725 is seen exiting the Narrabundah Terminus at quite a scary angle - this is my bad right there. I was positioned so far away from the location while doing the drawing on this day I was hoping to get as much bus and infrastructure in as I could. Got the shelter done nicely, but the bus... not quite - the wheel certainly didn't help with that either. The bus was requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Skitube'.

14. Dickson Shops
With a little cheating going on, forum.actbus.net user 'Busfanatic101' sent me a link to Google's Streetview. It just so happened to show a Qcity bus parked at this location. With this being the first (technically) non-Canberra bus I would draw, I thought "why not". I didn't draw the exact bus in the image, but I copied the ad it had on the back for my own entertainment. I have since deleted this link, but the bus can still be found in that spot if you search for it.

15. City Bus Interchange (plt. 4-7)
forum.actbus.net user 'Busfanatic101' was being quite the devil when they asked me to draw Renault PR:100.2 bus #866, with school route 596, passing platform '6'. I wanted some more detail in this drawing too, so I took a close up photo of the rear of a Renault and did one of my best drawings of a Renault so far.

16. Kippax Fair
Aside from some interesting historical coincidences that this drawing brought up, I thought I would add some extra oldie buses to the mix - expand my drawing library so to speak with some buses from the 80's. Bus 803 was requested by forum.actbus.net user 'Skitube' for this drawing.

17. Kingston Railway Station
Had a little fun with this one. With the request of Renault PR:100.2 bus #803 again, this time in its current Party Bus Co livery, I thought I would add in another ex-government bus that I was aware of for the sh*ts and giggles. The 'Pink Bus' was requested by forum.actbus.net user '743'.

18. City West Bus Interchange (Layover)
I had a really cool idea for this drawing, and it worked so well. Obviously something like this would be impossible now days due to only 2 of those buses no longer being with us, seeing a bus/livery from each of ACTION Buses and Transport Canberra's history would be awesome. Combining my recently acquired skills of Z-stripe buses and my fondness for the other buses included, this drawing inspired me to do this again and again in future drawings to come.

19. Erindale Centre
With Erindale having its looks altered to keep up with the times, I must say I hate going here whenever I have to now as it is so much worse than it was before it was 'fixed up' to look like a bus station... With my opinions aside, forum.actbus.net user 'Skitube' asked me to draw Qcity's MO4550 bus of which I thought was an Irisbus, but I believe is actually a Mercedes. They also asked me to draw one of the Dennis Darts from the Centenary Loop service with the 100 Years of Canberra AOA, which was a lot of fun to draw.

20. Pearce Terminus
Once upon a time when I was young and had a wild imagination, I imagined the grounds beneath my house was a bus depot. With over 100 stories of bus garages filled with the real and the concept variations of ACTION Buses buses, my most favourite buses to drive were my Irisbus Artics, Renault PR:100 series and the Dennis Darts. Included in the collection was my personal Irisbus Artic #299, and now she makes her first of many appearances in my drawings here at the Pearce Terminus.

21. Belconnen Westfield Bus Station (plt 1)
After 20 drawings with really bad road colours, I thought I would start improving these with some better greens, blues and blacks. It took quite a few drawings to get it right, but this was certainly a good try and the buses livery helps with that too. Dennis Dart bus #152 with the Transport Canberra livery was requested by forum.actbus.net user 'vnguyen' and although I didn't include a cloudy day for them, I tried simulating an overcast day by having the reflection appear in the front windscreen of the bus.

22. Lanyon Market Place
Had a lot of fun with this drawing, and unfortunately made quite a mess of the road. Trying to remember which order of colours I used for the previous drawings road, I accidently started with blue which really screwed it up. Looking back at it now however, it's not as bad as I though, kind of makes the road look wet. forum.actbus.net user 'Skitube' asked for many things for this drawing, however I was unable to accomplish them all. I could however after a little research include buses #621, ex-Hybrid Electric 712 and an A95 MAN Double Decker from Sydney all in their respective 'blue' liveries. After managing to get a respectable perspective for once, I also included some pigeons sitting on the light pole too.

23. Kambah Terminus

24. Hackett Terminus

25. Fraser West Terminus

26. Cohen Street Bus Staion (platforms 1 and 2)

27. Gungahlin Market Place

28. Fisher Terminus

29. Watson Terminus

30. Belconnen Community Bus Station (as seen from the bridge)

31. Macgregor Terminus

32. Dickson Interchange (plt 2)

33. Mawson Shops

34. Ainslie Terminus

35. Geoscience Australia

36. Sydney Avenue

37. Spence Shops

38. Antill Street, Watson

39. Chapman Terminus

40. Cook Shops

41. Fraser East Terminus

42. Dickson Terminus

43. Canberra Airport

44. Duffy Terminus

45. Canberra Racecourse

46. National Museum of Australia

47. Kaleen Group Centre

48. Knox Street, Watson

49. The Causeway

50. Gungahlin Interchange

Toyota Camry

Good drawings; I am quite impressed by your talent.

Stan butler

Quick challenge before the location becomes unavailable - get out to the new temporary layover at Fraser West and do a drawing there with an one example from each of the vehicles in the fleet.  You may only have 1 week - 2 weeks tops before it is unavailable.

BTW this new temporary layover is the best layover.  They should stick with this one.

Stan butler

2nd response - ever thought of compiling them all into a montage with some of you own music in the background and then putting it onto YouTube.  You may become famous then....

You could call it "buses and rhythms of Canberra" by The BusBoy.

I will give you that name, idea and thought for free.  I won't claim any royalty or I P.  My gift to you. 😀

Sylvan Loves Buses

Drawings #59 and #60 have been added. Both the new Electric bus and Matilda were requested by my mum.
Gonna draw something articulated for #61, been craving some concertina 'action' again.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Drawing #61 is finished and will be uploaded soon.
Drawing #62 is located on the corner of Macrossan and Dalley Crescents, Latham. Finally a bus stop not in use by the current network, such a shame I won't be resorting back to the other 'clue layout' for this :( .
If there's anything you'd like to see for this particular drawing, please post below.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Damn it's been a while since I've updated this page. I haven't stopped drawing though, I'm still doing them once a month, I've just been too busy to keep this thread up to date. For the mean time however, I will periodically add additional details to each drawing and also include a photo of the location taken either at the time or years later.
I will upload the last 6 months of drawings when I can get to them next.

Sylvan Loves Buses

The first 22 drawings have now been updated with a blurb, I will do more later.
I will also create the statistics that I once kept underneath once I've finished all of them.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I just spent the past couple of hours locating, scanning and finding the lost photos of each Terminus drawing. There's still a couple missing that were never taken, I shall endeavor to capture these some time in the near future.

Apparently there's a twenty thousand character cap on this forum for posts, so I will keep the top post for the Terminus drawings, and the following will be for the Stops.

I have yet to add most of the descriptions, I shall do those next time. For now however, the latest 6 drawings have now been uploaded to include:
#61 - Mk1 Artic 719 with Green ACTION Livery at Farrer
#62 - A Turkish Isuzu Citiport 12 at Latham
#63 - 667 at Kambah
#64 - A Sydney Buses Merc Artic at Telstra Tower
#65 - A Malaysian rapidKL Volvo Double Decker at Duffy
#66 - Brock Ginman's Present at Symonston

Sylvan Loves Buses

51. Learmonth Drive and Vansittart Crescent, Kambah

52. Palmerston Primary School

53. Beasly Street and Gepp Place, Torrens

54. Judith Wright Park

55. Miller and Hobbs Streets, Turner