Higgins Interchange

Started by CNG, January 29, 2010, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNG

a few decades ago buses use to operate to higgins interchange. Was it actually a full on interchange connecting other services to canberra or just a bus stop with that name?

Buzz Killington

It served in the same capacity as the former Belconnen Interchange I believe. I don't really know much about it, but somebody like Martin could probably give us a bit more of a background.

There's not too much information around about the Higgins Interchange, hence there is no page for it on the site at the moment, but I'll see if I can gather a little bit together and put a page on there.

Barry Drive

Take a look at this Gallery album and you can see the bus routes which applied in 1977 and the Higgins Interchange loading points.

The routes operating out of Higgins were:

16 - Intertown: City, Woden
40 - City via Scullin, Page, Macquarie and Aranda
41 - City via Hawker, Weetangera, Cook and Aranda
42 - Melba (Verbruggen St), Evatt
43 - Flynn (Companion Cres), Charnwood (Tillyard Dr), Fraser East terminus (NOT via Daley or Bingley)
44 - Flynn/Melba (Kingsford Smith Dr), Spence
45 - Kippax, Florey Dr, Charnwood, Fraser West
49 - Higgins, Holt, Macgregor
50 - Latham
51 - Melba (Alfred Hill Dr), Spence terminus
410 - CCAE (University of Canberra) peak extension to/from City

CNG

are there any photos of higgins interchange?

Barry Drive

Quote from: rolfe on February 15, 2010, 06:22:04 AM
are there any photos of higgins interchange?
RATEC have one or two, but they are not on the internet. ACT Heritage Library Images Library does not have any either.

ajw373

I can remember the hold Higgins interchange. There is now some old people's homes on the old site. I recall it used to have a waiting room in a building up behind the shops. As for routes, you need to remember that a lot of Northern and West Belconnen didn't exist at the time.

CNG

after getting intouch with RATEC I have gotten some pics of higgins interchange.
http://ratec.actbus.net/Various%20Buses/album/slides/higgins-interchange-1978-1.html
http://ratec.actbus.net/Various%20Buses/album/slides/higgins-interchange-1978-2.html
Iam so excited about this find, also a great thanks must go towards trevor lawrence and the RATEC team :)

CNG

I thought I better say this  ACT Bus was given permission to post each of the pictures on to the ACT bus website from the RATEC. Here is the email even.
Hi Sam,
Sorry I have taken a day to reply.

Do you want them for the ACTBus site?
If so, there is no problem, but you already have a link to The Retired ACT Transport Employees Club site on the actbus.net site. Admittedly you still have to search for what you want. I just tried the Google search which I put on the front page and it does not return the pages above - only pages which have a link to them - rather tenuous

Trevor Lawrence
Secretary and Webmaster
The Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Web Site http://ratec.actbus.net