How do ACTION sell their buses?

Started by Bus 400, April 03, 2009, 06:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Is anyone aware of any set rules for selling buses? Are they sold as they are received or something else?

Buzz Killington

I remember when they sold were the last of the 600's, which they transferred to Tuggers when they were put out to tender. A few weren't sold and were put back into service, before they eventually got sold.

It definitely isn't a "one for one" sorta thing, but I believe they'd wait until the new buses are in service, otherwise they can find themselves down by 20 or so buses if there is an unforeseen delay in delivering the new ones.

As for which ones they'd sell off.. since so many renaults all came at the same time, i guess they'd want to ditch the ones with the worst mechanical records.

Irisbus Rider

Unfortunately, ACTION can't sell any buses until this new order comes in. I'm sure 760 was good when they were selling off the last batch. Plus it was repainted, body is in relatively good condition too.
Buses can turn in about a year, 991 demonstrates that.....

As afr as I know, ACTION sell their own buses, and don't use a dealer, and are sold 'as is', minus the desto (?). Pompously should be able to shed more info on it.....

Snrub is also correct. One for one depends on the fleet size, and if ACTION need to increase fleet capacity, etc. That is why no Renaults have been sold when we got the MANs.

Bus 400

When all the PR100.2's & PR180.2's go, would the broken artic & 914 become scrap metal?

A tender goes out for selling of buses.

Sir Pompously

Yes I believe ACTION's are all sold as is, minus destination blind and ticketing equipment of course.

914 and the two Artic Halves if not salvaged for all parts will probably be sold off as a parts bus, or sent to Sims Metal for scrapping. However, that is a while away.

Irisbus Rider

Ex ACTION 693? (Interline 34) is a perfect example of that, it even has the ACTION ads on it! I'd love to get inside it (although, it will probably look like every other MkI :P ).

Buzz Killington

Quote from: TP 3000 on April 03, 2009, 06:56:35 PM
When all the PR100.2's & PR180.2's go, would the broken artic & 914 become scrap metal?

I imagine once ACTION have salvaged everything of use from those two, whatever is left would just be scrap anyway. 797 was sitting at Tuggeranong Depot for a few years while they tore out any parts of use, until it finally disappeared one day.

Snorzac

John 991 seemed fine today it hooned through Hawker Place at an alarming speed. No weird noises either.

Bus 400

Would there be anything transferable between the other buses?

Irisbus Rider

Snorzac

Even seats, you are talking about salvaging parts from buses in the grave yard aren't you?

Bus 400

I suspect that in the next sell off, the ticket machines may be put in the dumpster.

Would digital desto be sold with the bus?

Bit of both, I think

Irisbus Rider

Digital desto, yeah, probably would get sold off with the bus.

I'm getting myself a ticket machine when they're finished with them :P

Snorzac

The ticket machines may go before the next sell off. Digital destos may be transferred but the Mk Is will go first it will be a while before we see Mk IIs go I think.

Bus 400

Especially since 180.2's MkI wil go soon.

Irisbus Rider

At the moment, 2010 is when we should see the smart card system, grrrrrrrr!

They probably will be keeping a few flipdot destos when the first few will be sold off, just to keep some spares.

180.2s MkIs should be gone by this time next year :(

Bus 400

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on April 03, 2009, 07:22:43 PM
At the moment, 2010 is when we should see the smart card system, grrrrrrrr!

Drivers & passengers alike will LLLOOOVVVEEE the new system. No more stuck tickets & has a lot new things to do with it. It even lists the stops for that run.