Network 2012 Changes Announced

Started by Buzz Killington, March 21, 2012, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Last October, the ACT Government announced plans to improve the ACTION bus network and invited the community to comment. Thank you for your feedback – ACTION received 146 responses with many people having similar concerns. As a result, ACTION has made changes to the original plans.

The new bus network is expected to commence on Monday 28 May 2012. All timetables will change as a result of the new network. Timetables are currently being updated and will be available two weeks prior to the commencement of the new network from the ACTION website, MyWay Centres, Woden and Tuggeranong Bus Stations and Canberra Connect Shopfronts.

The new network, Network 12, is the first step along the way to delivering the improvements outlined in the Transport for Canberra Strategy. This round of changes will improve the current network and further planning is underway for a more extensive review.

The bus network will continue to change as Canberra grows, new business districts develop and more buses join the fleet. All feedback received from the consultation was considered however not all feedback could be included in the 2012 network changes. Feedback which has not already been included will be incorporated into a wider, more extensive review of the ACTION network currently being undertaken. Further changes will be implemented in 2013.

View the changes made in your area:

Additional Red Rapid Route 200 services and stops

More Red Rapid services will depart from Gungahlin Marketplace during the weekday morning peak period operating every 10 minutes. Additionally, the following bus stops will be upgraded to be serviced by Red Rapid providing greater access to the frequent service:

London Circuit (Legislative Assembly / Commonwealth Bank)
    Flemington Road / Wells Station Road
    Wentworth Avenue (near the Canberra Railway Station)
    Canberra Avenue (corner of Nyrang Street and Canberra Avenue)
    Constitution Avenue (ASIO Building).

Belconnen

Routes 318 and 319 (on the Blue Rapid line) will be extended to Kippax, providing 15 minute frequency between Kippax and Belconnen. View map of Route 318 and 319.
Canberra Railway Station

Route 80 timetable will be adjusted to ensure connection with arriving / departing trains.

Red Rapid Route 200 will be streamlined to travel along Wentworth Avenue and Canberra Avenue. An extra bus stop on Wentworth Avenue will be serviced by Red Rapid within walking distance of the Canberra Railway Station and The Causeway.
Central Canberra

The original proposal to split Route 2 in the city has changed following community feedback. The current structure of Route 2 will be retained for cross city travel.

Route 7 will be extended to City West, the Australian National University (ANU) and the National Museum of Australia (not Route 2 as originally planned). As this is an extension at the end of the route, it is not expected to affect commuters.

Route 3 will no longer travel via the National Museum of Australia (replaced by Route 7 - not route 2 as originally planned). This will reduce travel time to the City for ANU commuters. View map of Route 3 and 7.

Routes 3 and 7 will combine to provide improved frequency through the ANU and City West.

Routes 4 and 5 will be extended to service City West. View map of Route 4 and 5.
Fyshwick

Route 80 will be streamlined to provide a more direct service to Fyshwick no longer travelling via The Causeway or Russell Offices.

Based on community feedback, Route 80 will be redirected to travel along Barrier Street and Isa Street to ensure adequate coverage of this area.

Red Rapid Route 200 will now travel along Wentworth Avenue and Canberra Avenue. A new Red Rapid stop on Canberra Avenue will provide improved access for Narrabundah residents.

Route 780 will no longer operate (replaced by Route 80 services).

View map of revised Fyshwick services.
The Causeway

With the streamlining of Route 80, the ACT Government is currently working with residents in The Causeway as to how to best cater for their needs. This is being done as part of the ACT Government-wide Community Transport Review as well as the more extensive review which is planned for ACTION's bus network.
Gungahlin

A new weekday service, Route 55, and weekend service, Route 955, will service the suburbs of Forde and Bonner. Both routes will travel to Gungahlin Marketplace providing a connection with services to the City and Belconnen. Based on community feedback, Route 55 will be timed to connect with Route 757 from Gungahlin Marketplace to provide travel to Russell, Brindabella Business Park and Fairbairn. View map of weekday Gungahlin services and weekend Gungahlin services.

Route 51 will extend to service Casey.

Weekend service, Route 951, will service Casey and extend to the City travelling via Gungahlin Marketplace and Flemington Road providing a more direct link between Gungahlin and the City.

Weekend service, Route 952, will travel to Paul Coe Crescent via Moncrieff on to Amaroo, Gungahlin, Harrison, Franklin and the City.

Weekend service, Route 956, no longer travels to Belconnen. The service will operate between Gungahlin Marketplace and the City via Palmerston and Mitchell. Route 958 will continue to travel from Gungahlin to Belconnen.

Route 58 will extend to service Crace and will be streamlined to travel via Flemington Road (no longer through Franklin and Mitchell). View area map of Crace. Route 57 will continue to service Franklin and Mitchell. Franklin commuters can access Route 58 and many other services from the stops on Flemington Road. View map of Mitchell/Flemington Road services.

Weekend service, Route 958, will service Crace. View map of Route 958.

More buses will depart the Gungahlin Marketplace during the morning peak hours on Red Rapid Route 200. Buses will depart every 10 minutes.

Bus stops on Flemington Road near Well Station Drive will be serviced by Red Rapid Route 200.
Majura Park

Additional Route 10 services will extend to Majura Park during the morning and afternoon peak periods to meet the growing demand for public transport to this area.
Macquarie

To cater for aged residents in Macquarie, Community Route 73 and 74 will be redirected via Catchpole Street. View map of Route 73 and 74.
Tuggeranong

Frequency will be improved connecting Tuggeranong, Woden and City with additional Blue Rapid Route 300 services during morning and afternoon peak periods.
Woden to The Canberra Hospital

Route 4 will be extended to travel via The Canberra Hospital to the Woden Bus Station. Routes 3, 4, 5 and 6 will combine to provide a high frequency link between The Canberra Hospital and the Woden Bus Station. View map of The Canberra Hospital service.
Weston Creek

Route 28 will depart earlier from Woden to accommodate Orana Steiner School.

Route 25 and 26 departure times have been reworked to improve frequency for services from Woden to Weston Creek. Routes 25 and 26 combine to provide passengers with 30 minute frequency.
Platform changes

Route 4 will depart from Platform 14 at Woden Bus Station.
    300 series will depart from Platform 3 at Cohen Street Bus Station.
    Northbound services Route 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 will depart from Platform 5 at City Bus Station.
    Southbound services Route 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10 will depart from Platform 7 at City Bus Station.
    Southbound services Route 737 and 770 (formerly called 170) will depart from Platform 10 at City Bus Station.

Bus 400

I like how my suggestions for the 55 were taken up & a start on my other suggestion for some weekend routes taking the same route as their weekday counterpart (Route's 951,952 & 958 south.

It is also good to see the improvement in Gungahlin's weekend services.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 21, 2012, 07:51:19 PM
I like how my suggestions for the 55 were taken up & a start on my other suggestion for some weekend routes taking the same route as their weekday counterpart (Route's 951,952 & 958 south.

It is also good to see the improvement in Gungahlin's weekend services.

Well done - common sense suggestions.

manhinli

Finally, I get to travel to City without having to take the long way on 958. That'll shave 15 minutes off trips!

I find it interesting that the 58 will drop inner Mitchell/Franklin all together, though it'll help with distributing the load during mornings along Flemington Road.

Barry Drive

Quote from: manhinli on March 22, 2012, 01:33:23 PM
Finally, I get to travel to City without having to take the long way on 958. That'll shave 15 minutes off trips!

I find it interesting that the 58 will drop inner Mitchell/Franklin all together, though it'll help with distributing the load during mornings along Flemington Road.
From that I'm guessing you catch the bus somewhere along Flemington Road Franklin/Harrison. Good news is, 951 will travel along Flemington Road on weekends - bad news is that it will only run hourly. And what's the bet that it won't operate at a time convenient for you anyway?

manhinli

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on March 22, 2012, 02:28:25 PM
From that I'm guessing you catch the bus somewhere along Flemington Road Franklin/Harrison. Good news is, 951 will travel along Flemington Road on weekends - bad news is that it will only run hourly. And what's the bet that it won't operate at a time convenient for you anyway?
Yep from Flemington Rd./Wizard St. - and hourly's fine, as long as its convenient (e.g. early enough for Saturdays because I have events on, or want to go to EPIC)

958 takes 40-45 minutes? to City because of it's twists and turns through Harrison and Franklin. Horrible and slow.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if 951's hourly then connections to/from Belconnen (e.g. new 958) will be terrible... :/

Additional changes have cropped up on the ACTION website today:

- Route 980 to do Isa and Barrier in both directions at Fyshwick
- Route 111 extended to commence from City West in PM peak
- Better clarification of Route 7 City platforms

Barry Drive

Quote from: 743 on March 22, 2012, 06:41:41 PM
- Route 980 to do Isa and Barrier in both directions at Fyshwick
So they will need to remove the plastic shelter!

The platform changes are still confusing - Northbound routes 4 & 5 = Southbound route 7? Platform 7 seems too congested - perhaps Deane's needs to be relocated to either 4 or behind 3 (current temporary 5) and then all of Alinga St can be platform 7.