General Transport Discussion (December 07)

Started by Buzz Killington, December 02, 2007, 12:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Use this thread for General Dicussion that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Any topics that the team think are better as a seperate topic will be split.

Enjoy!

Irisbus Rider

To start off.....
I think the roll-out of security cameras is nearly complete. Most 100.2's have them up here in Belco, but apparently Tugg has only begun to fit them last week!

Jack Bauer

So how do these cameras work. Does someone sit in a room and continually monitor them, and subsequently watch the drivers every move (i.e. they'd get caught driving with no hands or perhaps having a fag :P)? Are they constantly on/constantly rolling and beaming back the footage to where ever it goes?

Sir Pompously

AFAIK they are digital, so they are not moving in frames like the old cameras. With the old cameras, each flash of the light was a picture/frame. They are constantly on and being taped onto a recording device (DVD or Hard Disk I would presume), but best of all is they provide constant streaming and vastly increased picture quality. One points outside the bus for traffic accidents, or showing people at bus stops (if, lets say, a driver gets robbed they can see who did it waiting at th stop). I don't think they go to HQ/Radio room, but I am welcome to be proven wrong. The positions of the cameras

1 - Looking rear. Attached to Desto/under desto
2 - Looking Outwards to door. Found above drivers console
3 - Looking outwards to street. Found behind mirror on 100.2's or under the desto on the far left on the 100.3's
4 - Centre looking towards rear most seating. Either found on the advert panels to the side, or on the roof

Busnerd

From what I understand, no security cameras on buses are ever actually monitored live, how could they?

But a TV for every bus and have some guy at each one monitoring them? Its too costly. All they do is record, and keep the footage for a 'reasonable time' before deleting it. They just go back to the footage if required, if there is any incident or accidents etc. otherwise they will delete it.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, they are recorded onto tapes, you see, thats where the prtoblem is, if there's a crime on the bus, and it occurs right at the end of the tape, it will just get taped over.

Anyway, haven't you ever seen Speed, and they're dodgy camera taping over on the bus? :P

Sir Pompously

The new ones will probably be taped onto DVD. As they are at Coles, which are Digital CCTV and are taped onto DVD instead of Video Tape. Someone open a box and find out!

Busnerd

Quote from: Renault Rider on December 08, 2007, 09:43:05 PM
Yeah, they are recorded onto tapes, you see, thats where the prtoblem is, if there's a crime on the bus, and it occurs right at the end of the tape, it will just get taped over.

Anyway, haven't you ever seen Speed, and they're dodgy camera taping over on the bus? :P

Only dodgy corner stores use tape john. Most security cameras now are digital. And if a crime happens on a bus it will be reported after it happens or by the end of the day. If a driver gets bashed do you think he would forget to mention it? so next to no chance of it being deleted too early.

Buzz Killington

Posts about drivers taking shortcuts have been split into a seperate topic

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Busnerd on December 08, 2007, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: Renault Rider on December 08, 2007, 09:43:05 PM

Only dodgy corner stores use tape john. Most security cameras now are digital. And if a crime happens on a bus it will be reported after it happens or by the end of the day. If a driver gets bashed do you think he would forget to mention it? so next to no chance of it being deleted too early.
From what I've heard in ACTION,  they are in fact tapes, the camera records to tapes, which is why the massive boxes are in the bag racks, they're recording devices.

But if the tape is towards the end of the roll, then a crime occurs, and it gets taped over, it's next to useless.

Buzz Killington

there's no way that they would install all these camras and have them record to a redundant technology. I think you'll find that security companies dont even offer video tape systems anymore. It would all record to a hard drive, in a compressed format and stored for a month or two.

Busnerd

John, the new cameras ARE digital, the older cameras that 916, 980 etc. had,WERE tape, and they had a box about twice as big as the new cameras and were usually placed under the seat in front of the back doors. I believe the new cameras are taped onto a hard drive.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, I'm not sure, I see where you're comign from, but I got this information from more than one driver, and they all said the same thing.

Thinking about it, they couldn't be tapes, I'm not sure.....

Busnerd

It doesnt matter what the drivers say, i can CONFIRM 100% they are not tapes, and that technology would rarely be available any more. Perhaps only for small operators like deans who would only have the technology capacity to use VCR's/tape.

But the original cameras in the .2's are tape, the scanias could be but probably not, and the new cameras are definately not.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, you must be right. I think I got confused, my mistake.

Sir Pompously

As stated, at coles we have DVD's that it all gets burnt too, and that box is huge. Not as big as one with tapes, but it is a pretty big box. It is basically a CPU in a black steel casing.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, they sound similar to what ACTION do have, and the vents on the boxes would explain why ventilation is needed, as it's a CPU.

Thanks for that info Todd.