Recent trip by VA aeroplanes

Started by smitho, August 24, 2011, 12:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Flew both ways from Canberra-Adelaide with Virgin Australia last week.

My booking was for an early afternoon E190 flight to Sydney with onward connection by B737 to the festival city.
But our E190 had only pushed back a short distance B4 pilot declared aircraft not airworthy. With minimum fuss, excellent cabin crew had us back in terminal in no time, food & drink vouchers in hand, awaiting announcements re relief arrangements.

Turned out they rebooked me on 1915 direct flight, meaning a 6 hour delay. No worries with that though - plenty to see & do around the new terminal. Direct flight ran right on time; I was given a seat near the front with the free food and drinks that goes with Flexifare bookings....even though I was BlueSaver. I guess it was compensation for my long delay.

Return trip was via Sydney, eastbound flight worked by a B737-700 (first time I'd been in one of these older models for a long time), with the 'Capital Connection' worked by an E190 in the new Virgin Australia livery - looked great; got seat 1A; heaps of space. Capital Connection food service was very good; VA should be on a winner with this. Great crews on all flights. New women's uniforms look really good, although couldn't help notice that some of Virgin's new colours - particularly the purple - look to be a straight lift from V/Line's color scheme for V/Locity regional fast trains.

PS: Didn't Ansett (Kendell) used to market its Canberra-Sydney shuttles under the Capital Connection title??

ajw373

Think you will find the Ansett name was Capital Shuttle. By any chance did you get to visit the lounge in Canberra as a result of the delay?

smitho

No, didn't get an invitation to the VA Lounge.

Thanks for correcting me about the Ansett Canberra-Sydney shuttle.

I now remember where I've travelled on 'The Capital Connection' several times in recent years. TranzScenic (NZ Railways) has a popular weekday commuter train which goes by that name.

Takes punters from Palmerston North south to the NZ capital, Wellington, with a return run to 'Parmy' in the evenings  - 2 hour run each way. Train is worked by ex-British Rail Mark 2 carriages which have been extensively refurbished and re-gauged. Consist includes a buffet car.