The Weather Thread

Started by Irisbus Rider, December 06, 2007, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisbus Rider

Nothing for us to start us off, but there is a Severe storm warning all the way up the coast from Batemans Bay to Sydney, and you wouldn't believe it, out west, there is a Total Fire Ban, for hot and windy conditions today!

Anything else to report?

CanberraTransport

Further to note... this should be reserved for SEVERE events only. If it is a light sprinkling of rain, then the 'Rain' thread is more relevant. Whereas if its a Thunderstorm that could cause damage, post it within this thread. Thank you :)

Buzz Killington

whoa, i just saw the most SEVERE sprinkling of rain guys... like omg

Irisbus Rider

......We're expecting a storm or two this afternoon, a large cloud mass is descending on Canberra, and bringing along with it a few flashes of lightning and bolts of thunder, and a fair amount of rain. A Severe Storm Warning has not been issued, but just letting you all know we'll probably get a bit of boom crash opera, and drips and drops across rooftops and crops, provided we have crops avaliable to receive drips and drops.

Jack Bauer

Wouldn't you classify floods, bushfires, or terrential rain as SEVERE. Not some measely thunderstorms.

Buzz Killington

i've changed the thread title to something more appropriate

joshula

Michelago is REALLY copping it.
It has back built into black on the Canberra BOM radar now

Plus is a Thunderstorm warning advice
Canberra and NSw Area

Busnerd

Only John may post 'severe storm warnings' which never occur here :p

Irisbus Rider

Well, I was considering a warning, but nah.....

Golf ball (ha ha Busnerd) sized hail reported in Michelago.

Sir Pompously

Ground services at the Airport were suspended this evening due to thunderstorms in area (heavy rain, high wind and lightning bolts), delayed a few of our flights. Power (Lights and Traffic Lights) was also out due to powerline damage around the Alexander Machonochie Centre (Jail) and South Care hanger on the Monaro. However very nice storm it was, spectacular lightning. Only wish I had my camera and tripod on me.

Sir Pompously

Tonight there was a lovely storm brewing to the east of the ACT, Sydney Airport was also closed thisafternoon due to severe weather.

A photo from tonight's storm taken at home

bubzie

Yeah, here's a lame photo of it from fadden pines..

Note: Attachments are Removed once they are 60 days old due to Automatic Maintenance.

O305

Did you use the camera with pink sparkles?

Busnerd

i cant see bubzies photo, its not there.

bubzie

Quote from: O305 on February 26, 2008, 10:42:25 PM
Did you use the camera with pink sparkles?

no. and besides, i dont have a camera with pink sparkles!!

Busnerd

well i cant see anything, use a different server.

Sir Pompously

Maybe it is your Windows Vista Ultimate with Non Aero scheme seeing as though your graphicscard cannot handle it Mat? As I cansee it perfectly

Buzz Killington

....despite the fact that he just changed operating systems...

Irisbus Rider

Wha?

A rain storm hit Belconnen earlier this evening, causing localised flash flooding, and traffic disruptions. It was a doosy.....

Buzz Killington

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, thats strange, the cloud mass moved in from the south.....but very slowly.

Buzz Killington

bit of light rain this arvo, bout 3ish i think

Irisbus Rider

Ah, fair enough, who knows, it may have intensified over the duration of the afternoon.....

Busnerd

how come there is always flash flooding and traffic chaos, yet this never happens. Everytime flash flooding is reported, nothing floods except the spillway at lake tuggeranong.

Irisbus Rider

Because Belconnen is over 40 kms away from Tuggeranong.....

Busnerd

so because belconnen is over 40km away from tuggeranong, you get flash flooding that doesnt actually ever happen? what floods? that creek in macgregor?..gininnderra ponds?

Irisbus Rider

No, roadside flash flooding, particularly on the inner streets of town, like Florey Drive...

Busnerd

so by flooding they just mean, streets with poor drainage systems overflow.. thats not really flash flooding, it just means they need a better drainage system there..

Irisbus Rider

Backyards are usually immersed in water too.....

Bus 400

Quote from: Renault Rider on March 02, 2008, 07:14:56 PM
Backyards are usually immersed in water too.....

Like those 3 storms that Kambah, parts of Weston Creek & Woden had last year when we had (I think) 600 mils for summer. When the water levelin my backyard reached 10+cm deep.

Irisbus Rider

Exactly.....But we're talking about Belconnen here.

Busnerd

yeah bus 400, how could you be so stupid, everyone knows only belconnen gets 'flash flooding'

Irisbus Rider

Bloody Windy here, even experiencing power difficulties.....

Buzz Killington

bloody windy here too, no power issues though

Irisbus Rider

Lucky you. The lights here keep flickering, dimming, etc. I think because of the heavily treed area in Macgregor, the power usually goes out there due to falling trees.

lukeo25

bloody windy here in the woden valley but no power issues

O305

Busnerd

typical of belconnen to have flash floods and power problems.

strong wind here but no problems associated with it.

Bus 400

All this must be from the majical storm that Perth had on Monday where we had 14mm in March & 34mm in April all in one day*. This is from ex Tropical Cycleon Pancho & the winds we had in Rockingham (far south Perth) felt like a bloody cyclone.

*BOM finsh the months rainfall total at 09:00 on the last day of the month & start the next month at 09:01 that same day.

lukeo25

my avatar is me because i created one from yahoo (yeah i have a yahoo e-mail big woop) it shows me in a kilt because i have irish hertitage as per my last name O'Rourke my coat of arms

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 03, 2008, 02:14:05 AM
All this must be from the majical storm that Perth had on Monday where we had 14mm in March & 34mm in April all in one day*. This is from ex Tropical Cycleon Pancho & the winds we had in Rockingham (far south Perth) felt like a bloody cyclone.

*BOM finsh the months rainfall total at 09:00 on the last day of the month & start the next month at 09:01 that same day.
No, it's just a Low pressure system.....

Busnerd

Luke O'Rourke..right, I will direct that to my contacts at Lake T

bubzie

Busnerd? Contacts? Lake T?

Luke, i think this is the best time to go into hiding... :D

lukeo25

ok i will go into my serect tunnel underneth somewhere near civic

Irisbus Rider

Oooooh, I like secrets.....

As for severe meteorological events, not much to report.......

bubzie

It looks like its about to rain outside.

And there are two people walking up the stairs to the libary.

oh, i was just getting distracted there, dont mind me  8)

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

Buzz Killington

tuggers. we had light snow for about half an hour this morning. it was just enough to create a dusting on the rooftops