Renaults a go go: The Next Generation

Started by Barry Drive, November 25, 2019, 05:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

The first 3 of the new Scanias will arrive this week. Depending on how long it takes to put them into service, we should expect some Renault withdrawals next month.

It is believed/hoped that the 16 PR100.3s will be withdrawn this time. Which means 24 PR100.2 withdrawals.

Assuming they go numerically, the following will be withdrawn:

• Belconnen Depot – 107-117 908-911 913 925-935 938 939 [29 buses]
• Tuggeranong Depot – 121-125 936 937 940 942-944 [11 buses]

943 & 944 might be kept as trainers, allowing 920 & 921 to be scrapped.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 25, 2019, 05:06:16 PMIt is believed/hoped that the 16 PR100.3s will be withdrawn this time

Comments I have recently heard from those who might/should know support this.

Toyota Camry

It has been reported to myself that Renault PR100.3s produce a smaller number of carbon emissions per kilometre than the older PR100.2 models; it is in the interest of our planet and for humanity that the PR100.3s should be the last Renaults to remain in service to help tackle climate change.

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 01, 2019, 08:44:46 AMIt has been reported to myself that Renault PR100.3s produce a smaller number of carbon emissions per kilometre than the older PR100.2 models; it is in the interest of our planet and for humanity that the PR100.3s should be the last Renaults to remain in service to help tackle climate change.

Is this based on prototype test data by the manufacturer, or real world reflecting Transport Canberra patterns of use; and is the difference significant enough to practically matter?

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 01, 2019, 08:44:46 AMIt has been reported to myself that Renault PR100.3s produce a smaller number of carbon emissions per kilometre than the older PR100.2 models; it is in the interest of our planet and for humanity that the PR100.3s should be the last Renaults to remain in service to help tackle climate change.
The fuel consumption would be far from the only consideration for the differences in total emissions in keeping the pr2s vs 3s. Just a speculative example here, but pr3s could use sightly less diesel but instead break down 3x more and more than make up for the emmisions saved by its need for parts and repairs, and the emissions that go into the extraction of metals, manufacture, freight, and installation etc etc of these parts.
Or a pr3 breaking down and blocking morning peak hour traffic on the Tuggeranong Parkway could result in more net CO2 emissions than running a pr2 that doesn't break down and block traffic 😈

Sylvan Loves Buses

Don't the Euro 5s cause slightly more emissions than either of the Renaults, so shouldn't they go first before the Renaults?

Barry Drive

Don't confuse emissions with fuel consumption.

We've discussed fuel consumption before (http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=3762.0), and yes the Renaults have lower fuel consumption than the Euro V MANs. But the MAN will have significantly lower CO² and other emissions (like NO² and diesel particulates).

Also of note is that the PR100.2 & PR100.3 are quoted with the same consumption per 100 km, yet the relative running costs of the PR100.3 is way higher – probably caused by higher maintenance costs – which is why they will (or should) be withdrawn first.

Barry Drive

Current state of play: 13 out of 40 new Scanias in service; 10 Renaults have been withdrawn – 121-125, 936 937 940 942 & 945 (all Tuggeranong buses).

However, it is expected that Network 2020 will require additional buses, so some of these may be resuming service in April.

triumph

There are now just 9 PR3s left in service, all at Belconnen Depot.
That Depot has now started receiving its current allocation of 20 new buses with 2 now in service and already 2 PR3s ('presumed' says Fleet WIKI) retired.
18 new buses to come, and 9 PR3s left. If the present trend continues then PR3s are likely to disappear from service within the next 2 months. So, for any regular service rides required in a PR3, it might be very wise to arrange for that urgently, (and immediately if particular fleet numbers are wanted).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on April 29, 2020, 03:36:08 PMIf the present trend continues then PR3s are likely to disappear from service within the next 2 months. So, for any regular service rides required in a PR3, it might be very wise to arrange for that urgently, (and immediately if particular fleet numbers are wanted).

Along with my bus hopping I have recorded multiple routes throughout the school-weekdays that include P3's. So if anyone who does want to ride a few more before they go, shoot me a private message. Those of us on Southside have to suffer as there's only one that comes down to Woden and not till the afternoon (that I've seen), otherwise early-mid morning throughout Belconnen/Gungahlin.

Barry Drive

There are now only 5 PR100.3s remaining in service (and another 2 new Scanias are expected next week which will be enough to withdraw them).

I would estimate there's only two weeks until they are all withdrawn.

Stan butler

And who is going to shed a tear when they go?  I for one won't...

triumph

If in numerical order, the next PR3 to be retired will be 113. This bus is a unique version and last in service of the PR3a modified for easy access type. The most obvious remaining aspect is a ramped floor in lieu of steps at the front entry. The kneeling suspension is also present and when recently observed was still operable.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 13, 2020, 10:54:42 AMThere are now only 5 PR100.3s remaining in service

NUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 13, 2020, 10:54:42 AMThere are now only 5 PR100.3s remaining in service.

I would estimate there's only two weeks until they are all withdrawn.

I think they've already been withdrawn, I'm seeing quite a number of Iris buses where 3's should be on the morning 40 services.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Nevermind, they're out again now on a bunch of school runs.

Qashqai

Hi All,
I know the ACTBUS Wiki is more resourceful for withdrawal dates but I thought I'd say that BUS-107, BUS-108, BUS-109, BUS-110, BUS-111, BUS-112, BUS-113, BUS-114, BUS-115, BUS-116, BUS-117, BUS-121, BUS-122, BUS-123, BUS-124 and BUS-125 are all still currently registered as per the ACT Government's free online rego check (all are PR100-3s).  Through rego check I've found out that some of the PR100-2s have been cancelled in the past 9 months :-(.

I have provided the link below and for your information, enter registration numbers as only letters and numbers (eg. YKA99A).  I discovered last year when I was quite inquisitive after finding the disposal yard that ACTION pays the registrations in August as their entire bus fleet expires on the 1st of September.

https://rego.act.gov.au/regosoawicket/public/reg/FindRegistrationPage?1

Hope this information is useful.

Kind Regards,
AJ

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 18, 2020, 03:56:45 PMNevermind, they're out again now on a bunch of school runs.
More than school runs - 117 was operating a rte 27 about 3hr ago.

Bus 400

Quote from: Qashqai on June 18, 2020, 04:26:51 PMHi All,
I know the ACTBUS Wiki is more resourceful for withdrawal dates but I thought I'd say that BUS-107, BUS-108, BUS-109, BUS-110, BUS-111, BUS-112, BUS-113, BUS-114, BUS-115, BUS-116, BUS-117, BUS-121, BUS-122, BUS-123, BUS-124 and BUS-125 are all still currently registered as per the ACT Government's free online rego check (all are PR100-3s).  Through rego check I've found out that some of the PR100-2s have been cancelled in the past 9 months :-(.

Around late July you'll be able to notice that rego has been extended to the following year. You can then use this the rego check website to see who's going off to the Fyshwick Retirement Village.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

Qashqai

Hi Bus 400,

You know of the ACT Rego Check too :-)?  No worries, I was monitoring buses last August that didn't get renewed (BUS-148 to be exact) so I've gotten the month wrong, sorry.  Do you think ACTION will renew the registrations of the remaining PR100-2s?....and PR100-3s?  I compose spreadsheets of (usually latest issued Y Series registration numbers) but am also working on having all 1000 'BUS' numbers documented (using ACT Rego Check, ACTBUS Fleet Wiki and an OpenOffice spreadsheet).  In doing so I've noticed that ACTION have disposed of some of the newer PR100-2s and retained some of the older PR100-2s!  I've also noticed the motor registry have misspelled some buses' details.  For example BUS-310 is a 2002 Irisbus Agaoraline and BUS-104 is a 1994 Renault PRI00-3 :->.

I've currently documented: BUS-300 to BUS-399, BUS-600 to BUS-699, BUS-700 to BUS-799 and BUS-900 to BUS-999.  The main reason I'm doing this is because ACTION reuse fleet numbers so the rego details of the older unregistered buses will be lost eventually.

Kind Regards,
AJ

triumph

116 was active in Gungahlin this morning peak.

Bus 400

Quote from: Qashqai on June 22, 2020, 09:26:44 PMHi Bus 400,

You know of the ACT Rego Check too :-)?  No worries, I was monitoring buses last August that didn't get renewed (BUS-148 to be exact) so I've gotten the month wrong, sorry.  Do you think ACTION will renew the registrations of the remaining PR100-2s?....and PR100-3s?  I compose spreadsheets of (usually latest issued Y Series registration numbers) but am also working on having all 1000 'BUS' numbers documented (using ACT Rego Check, ACTBUS Fleet Wiki and an OpenOffice spreadsheet).  In doing so I've noticed that ACTION have disposed of some of the newer PR100-2s and retained some of the older PR100-2s!  I've also noticed the motor registry have misspelled some buses' details.  For example BUS-310 is a 2002 Irisbus Agaoraline and BUS-104 is a 1994 Renault PRI00-3 :->.

From time to time I have looked, but time does get away. But getting the scoop on retired buses can't be a bad thing.

Do make sure to get the details on the old 700 series artics. This info should still be in there.

AFAIK, the rego information is supplied by the vehicle owner. So TC would give that info to TCCS, TCCS wouldn't care about a dot here & there.

With the Renaults, their age means if any major repair work. The bus becomes an organ donor. As has been mentioned somewhere, some buses that have been retired, do come out of retirement from time to time. The game to play is to spot them, while Woden was easier to keep track access wise. Being down to 5ish rows at Fyshwick means tiny movements are trackable.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

Qashqai

Hi Bus 400,

No, not at all :-).  As one of my main interests is number plates (I do have an ACTION BUS plate!), rego check has become a valuable tool.  I hope the remaining PR100-2s get renewed, even though I don't catch ACTION buses, they seem to have something nice about them.  My Mum caught them when they were new :-)

The last time I caught an ACTION bus was October 2015, Dad and I took one to Floriade and back.  I remember the bus we took back had high centre windows which you couldn't really look out of sitting down (Now looking back, I think the bus was a Scania K320UB 6x2LB 14.5M but can't be sure - it may have also been articulated).  However in general, the last public transport bus I was on was in February this year in Adelaide :-).  I caught the route 300 bus almost every afternoon in Adelaide during late October and early November 2019.

I'm currently saving screenshots of the 700s.  Would you suggest I start saving screenshots of the 100s and 900s?  In my spreadsheets I only save these details: Blocks (one block is 25 pairs of number plates), Registration Numbers, Vehicle Details, Registered On*, Registered For, Entered Service*, Withdrawn*, Registration Status, Expiry Date, MAI Provider (formally known as CTP - All display "Self Insurance Provided"), and New Registration Numbers*.

*These details I collect from the ACTBUS Wiki Page.

Another member of this forum said the details are provided by the vehicle owner.  So if true, why doesn't TC provide just one entry for all of one model rather then multiple....? Do they forget the previous entries so create new ones....?  As I always thought the motor registry enters the details wrong but now it looks like the vehicle owners do.

Yes, I recall reading some of the 900s (I think it was) had been returned to service (in general) in the ACTBUS Wiki Page.  So these parts that come off the decommissioned Renaults, do they then get fitted when necessary to the remaining Renaults?  One thing I would like to know is, what (basic) type of transmission do ACTION buses utilise, Automatic or Manual?

Thanks for the information you have provided.  My knowledge of buses is very limited :-)

Kind Regards,

AJ

Snorzac

Returning to the topic, 114 appears to have been withdrawn following its jaunt to the airport on Friday night, it can be seen from Coulter Dr parked with 906 (parts bus) and what appears to be 115. This leaves just 116 and 117 in service, given 709, 10 and 12 were all sighted in service on Friday afternoon, and 711 is now showing as registered I would guess tomorrow morning will be the last operation of 100.3s in service. Given these are almost impossible to preserve due to many issues, if you want a 100.3 ride, id be getting out tomorrow morning and finding 116 or 117!

Sylvan Loves Buses

I would say that would be the 6-7am 40's as I don't see them on the later morning 40s anymore.

Sylvan Loves Buses

116 just popped up on the map, good luck!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Snorzac on June 28, 2020, 10:27:25 PMI would guess tomorrow morning will be the last operation of 100.3s in service

Not yet, 116 is out again today.

Qashqai

Snap, I spotted BUS-116 operating Route 40 this afternoon on Kerrigan Street in Charnwood likely returning to the Shakespeare Crescent Bus Station

:-)

Snorzac

It appears that 711 has not gone into service yet, this would be holding up the withdrawal of 116

Sylvan Loves Buses

967 is gone? damn that explains a few things. :'( @KoB

Also just going through my log book I can help narrow the decommission date of 964 for you (noticed there wasn't a specific date) as I caught it on the 25th of March. Same with 948 (12 March).

Snorzac

Curiously BUS 108 is showing as de-registered

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was going to put this in the tours board, but none of the posts seemed appropriate.

If there's going to be a final tour/trip on a PR3 sometime in the near future, can those of us who are not in the loop be notified? Just so that there's not a repeat of finding out a week later that 986 had a secret farewell, leading to suicidal thoughts.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 05, 2020, 03:26:41 PMI was going to put this in the tours board, but none of the posts seemed appropriate.

If there's going to be a final tour/trip on a PR3 sometime in the near future, can those of us who are not in the loop be notified? Just so that there's not a repeat of finding out a week later that 986 had a secret farewell, leading to suicidal thoughts.
If a private outing on a bus is organised by a group of friends, they are not legally required to open this outing to the general public; during this current pandemic, it may be seen as desirable not to invite the public to any such events, to minimise the likelihood of COVID-19 spreading at the event, as for a private event within a friendship circle, it is easier to determine if all invitees have been tested for COVID-19 and/or if any are displaying symptoms.

King of Buses

The PR100.3s have also all been withdrawn from service and likely decommissioned by now, so unless you find someone crazy enough to buy one (and keep it running), the chance to travel on one has likely passed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'd buy one, I have the money - only issue of course is I have no where to put it.
I would buy one of each of the ex-fleet if I could and although it would be nice to keep them going, just having them would be enough to keep me happy - I'll have to keep dreaming.

Quote from: Toyota Camry on July 05, 2020, 06:11:52 PMIf a private outing on a bus is organised by a group of friends, they are not legally required to open this outing to the general public...
Obvious not, a private message would suffice and if the bus/occasion is not interesting enough/inconvenient I'll discard it.

Quote from: Toyota Camry on July 05, 2020, 06:11:52 PMprivate event within a friendship circle
Precisely my point as most of the still-active veterans of this board are all part of said "friendship circle". I'd say it's not fair, but I'm just going to keep getting bullied for anything I try to say to back myself up as I have no friends here or friends with the same hobby.

Stan butler

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 06, 2020, 04:09:36 PMI'd buy one, I have the money - only issue of course is I have no where to put it.
I would buy one of each of the ex-fleet if I could and although it would be nice to keep them going, just having them would be enough to keep me happy - I'll have to keep dreaming.

You could buy one and then "lend" it to the Canberra transport museum. They could then put a plaque on it saying..."this bus has been kindly lent to the Canberra transport museum by Sylvan.  Sylvan loves buses"

Then you can go to bed each night having warm and fuzzy feelings in your heart because you own a bus - and you have allowed members of society to see and experience that bus.

Then one day when you are a famous musician and you have released some top selling albums and famous soundtracks, you can then buy a country estate and take your publicly loved bus and park it there.  Who knows, you may then want to turn it into a mobile studio and you could hit the road with it and make an album inspired by travels in your famous bus...

Now how is that for your life's plan?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah like that'll happen with the music industry currently down the toilet. As I've learned throughout my course, making a living of music is basically career suicide if you don't have someone else to make the dough. So although would be awesome and something I have thought about, it is not something I want particularly.
I'll buy a bus first, then I'll think about the where and what when I get there.

Qashqai

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say there is a Renault PR100-3 parked on the nature strip of Osburn Drive in MacGregor with no number plates or fleet numbers.

I don't have proper photos only dashcam footage, which you can view snippets of here.

I also found a re-registered PR100-2 while searching newly registered ACT Heavy Vehicle plates through ACT Rego Check a few nights ago.  On the 6th of July 2020, a 1992 Renault PR100-2 was registered with XA-11AG, for 12 months expiring 05/07/2021 with NRMA MAI (formally known as CTPI).

Hope this information is useful.

Kind Regards,
AJ

Stan butler

Quote from: Qashqai on July 18, 2020, 10:02:06 PMHi All,

Just a quick note to say there is a Renault PR100-3 parked on the nature strip of Osburn Drive in MacGregor with no number plates or fleet numbers.

I don't have proper photos only dashcam footage, which you can view snippets of here.

We've already mentioned that one but it seems the posts talking about that particular bus and location have been deleted.  Apparently that particular bus is secret men's business and the owners (who are an affiliated organisation) are not interested in having other people assist them. It is like a secret society or something.  Expect this post to disappear too.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Stan butler on July 20, 2020, 04:48:16 AMWe've already mentioned that one but it seems the posts talking about that particular bus and location have been deleted.
Are you referring to this topic: http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4516.0

It's still there. No secret person's business happening.

King of Buses

Quote from: Qashqai on July 18, 2020, 10:02:06 PMI also found a re-registered PR100-2 while searching newly registered ACT Heavy Vehicle plates through ACT Rego Check a few nights ago.  On the 6th of July 2020, a 1992 Renault PR100-2 was registered with XA-11AG, for 12 months expiring 05/07/2021 with NRMA MAI (formally known as CTPI).

A blue 1992 PR100.2? Interesting.

Qashqai

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks Stan for advising that my post may disappear (it hasn't yet).  Secondly, The PR100-3 on Osburn wasn't parked there this afternoon.  This evening, I noted on the MacGregor side Florey Drive a 1994 Renault PR100-3 parked with registration number: XA-68AD.  After checking the number, I discovered the bus was registered yesterday (27/07/2020) for 12 months (expiring: 26/07/2021).  I'm not sure if this is the same bus or another one.  Likely the same due to the close proximity.

Re Blue PR100-2: That's what has been entered into Rego Check, whether the bus is actually blue remains to be seen.  I knew of a car which was a lightish blue that was entered into Rego Check as black so the bus could be white for all I know :-) :-).

Here's the link to my Google Site where you can view a photo of XA-68AD.

Kind Regards,

AJ

Snorzac

Okay, this really annoys me. There is multiple resources on this website and forum which will identify both these buses. 

For the record, to end this painful conversation;
XA11AG is BUS 967 which is obviously a dinosaur bus, so its aqua
XZ68AD is BUS 108 of the transport museum

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've finished with my 2-week study of the 70/71/72 weekday P2 runnings. It's rather disappointing how few there are compared to how many were suggested by the online listing on the TC website. Those are all taken by Gas buses instead, but there is a Belconnen shift in one of them, so not all bad.

You can always go on Anytrip and find them yourself, but if you'd like to know which ones they are right away, message me.

Sylvan Loves Buses

or, if you'd like me to look for your local routes, I can do the same for that.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on June 20, 2020, 05:18:51 PMAround late July you'll be able to notice that rego has been extended to the following year. You can then use this the rego check website to see who's going off to the Fyshwick Retirement Village.
It's mid August, and still no renewals. While I wouldn't expect any of the currently withdrawn buses to be renewed what will be worth checking is whether any Renaults will not be renewed. But that will have to wait until next weekend.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Due to the current talk about the 90 new electric buses the government want to have in the next couple of decades or whatever, I took it upon myself to make some inquiries about some 'old bus' things.
I have been updated by a TC admin that the P2's won't last any longer than 2 more years. To keep their identity private, I won't say who told me. Two things for sure, I'm gonna be focused on continuing to ride as many of them as I can until they are officially deceased and to also see if someone in ACTION/TC will be truthful for once. Was at least 10 year ago when the artics were being killed off that I was told that, if not more. It's just like a couple of veteran drivers I know, they keep saying they're gonna retire, but they never do.

Barry Drive

Seven PR100.3s have been sent to Pickles for sale. They are 109 111 112 114 115 121 & 124.

Presumably via online auction. For details www.pickles.com.au then search for "Renault bus"

Bus It

Having only been sold mid last year, bus 111 is back up for sale by its new owner. Located Tarcutta (next to the rest stop)