The future

Started by Stan butler, November 22, 2020, 09:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan butler

Been very quiet in here recently.  How about a new discussion - on the future.

What do you think the buses of the future will be?  10, 20, 30 - even 40 years out.

Will they be bigger or smaller - ie 60 seaters or 16 seaters?  Electric, driverless or even wheel less?  Anyone who has has spent time overseas would know that we, in Australia, are very backward in many ways.  I don't mean this as an insult, but more of an observation.  Many cities around the world already have a full electric fleet, many have tap on via phone to pay, many have have dedicated bus lanes - and many have have cultures that accept the positive role of public transport.

So in your mind, what does the future hold for buses, not just in Canberra, Australia - but anywhere? 

Busnerd

I don't expect a lot of changes here, as you say we've always been a very pro-car nation and as such public transport suffers, although our geography doesn't help that, in Canberra at least.

I do see TC moving towards fully electric over the next 15 years or so, with people still complaining about how bad the service is (That's just what Canberrans do) and I see a slow increase of frequency and possible new routes once Woden comes online and as the city grows further.

I do wonder how long Qcity will sit in the past though with a relatively small fleet, low frequency timetables etc.