Commuter Fail

Started by Snorzac, November 11, 2010, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

Quote from: Yahoo 7A CityRail commuter says he is furious after he was trapped on a train in Sydney for almost six hours.
Mark   Connelly, 34, was on his way to work when he got on an empty train at   Bondi Junction in the city's east just after 9:00am yesterday.
He says the train then moved 200 metres into a recess tunnel.
"I   realised what had happened and tried to get phone messages, texts or   emails out to let people know I was basically trapped on the train in   the tunnel but I had no reception," he said.
Mr Connelly tried finding the driver's compartment and activating emergency beacons but no one was on the train to respond.
He   said he tried forcing the train doors open, breaking a window and   yelling out, but finally sat down to read a book when nothing worked.
Mr   Connelly waited for the next five and a half hours before a CityRail   driver opened the train to get it ready for the next peak hour service.
"He was pretty surprised to see me there," he said.
Mr Connelly is urging CityRail to rethink its evacuation procedures.
"For   me it was a great annoyance but I just worry about somebody who's an   asthmatic, claustrophobic or diabetic or just older," he said.
"It   could've been a much worse situation. There needs to be some way   someone in that circumstance can communicate with the station.
"There   could also be circumstances where the driver is unavailable and then   there's no way for anybody in the train in emergency situations to   communicate with the outside world if you're in a tunnel. And there's no   way to get out. There's no emergency exit or emergency release for the   doors so you're pretty much trapped."
Mr Connelly - an environment   campaigner with the advocacy group Get Up - has also questioned the   amount of electricity that is wasted on the trains.
"My only   saving grace was that the lights and air-conditioning were still on,   although I really question why the lights and air-conditioning are kept   running on trains for five-and-a-half hours if they're not supposed to   go anywhere and not supposed to have anyone on board," he said.
Mr Connelly said he missed out on a full day of work and an appointment to donate blood because of the incident.
Railcorp's chief operating officer, Andy Byford, has apologised to Mr Connelly and says he is investigating.
"We   apologise unreservedly to the customer involved and I am trying to make   contact with him to give him that personal apology," he said.
"It appears he was taken into the siding at Bondi Junction.
"We have procedures to preclude that from happening, obviously something went wrong here and we're fully investigating that.
"What   we've found out to date is that the checks that should have been made   appear to have been made in that there were audible announcements being   made that the train was terminating, that there were visual   announcements on the screens and that the staff did check the train," he   said.
"Somehow we've managed to miss this customer - that's not   acceptable, we will review our procedures as part of the investigation."
More at http://au.news.yahoo.com/odd/a/-/odd/8300663/sydney-commuter-trapped-on-train-for-six-hours/

How about reading the signage, listening to the announcements and not blaming CityRail for your own stupid mistake!!!

belcodriver

Quote from: Metrobus on November 11, 2010, 10:11:20 PM
How about reading the signage, listening to the announcements and not blaming CityRail for your own stupid mistake!!!

You don't know if there were any announcements.

Maybe Mark fucked up but even stupid passengers shouldn't be locked in a train for 6 hours.