November 30, 2021, 01:12:22 AM

Canberra in lockdown

Started by Toyota Camry, August 13, 2021, 11:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

October 18, 2021, 09:19:06 PM #50 Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 08:59:45 AM by Busnerd
While the lockdown has now ended in Canberra, and it is legal to ride on buses for fun, it is recommended that you continue to take additional precautions, including those in addition to the public health restrictions; for example, if you are riding on multiple buses in one day, you should wear two masks instead of one until the 90% double dose vaccination rate is reached, after this point it would be rational to wear just one mask, noting this will continue to be mandatory for years to come on Transport Canberra vehicles.

You will not need to wear your mask outdoors from October 29, however it is best practice that you continue to do so; additionally, whilst the NSW Government is making an extremely poor decision to end the indoor mask mandate from December 1, meaning that you may visit shopping centres and other businesses in Queanbeyan without wearing a mask, it would be extremely foolish of you to do so.

It is prudent to remember that when moving around in the Canberra community, you are surrounded by unvaccinated people; this is part of why I have not left my home except for visits to SPAR Ngunnawal and one trip to Kmart Gungahlin to pick up a click and collect item by bus, during which I was disgusted that a single door Irisbus Agoraline operated my service.

Shops and shopping centres will be reopening in Canberra from October 29; as we are now living in a new COVID-normal world, due to the risk of exposure it is best to avoid non-essential visits to shopping centres once they have re-opened, however it provides additional convenience that items may be bought in person from this date rather than only via click and collect. Buses will not be busy in Canberra for a long time to come in this new COVID-normal world; whilst some departments such as Services Australia may be trying to force staff back to offices, the risk profile will be too high for most people to consider working on-site.

ADMIN Note: The ACT Bus Forum does not support the wild views expressed in this post. For correct official information visit www.covid19.act.gov.au

narc855

Quote from: Toyota Camry on October 18, 2021, 09:19:06 PMyou are surrounded by unvaccinated people
Do you have evidence to support this?
What I can see is that we have 80.7% people aged 12+ get fully vaccinated today.

Sylvan Loves Buses

October 19, 2021, 03:57:21 PM #52 Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:51:17 AM by Sylvan Loves Buses Reason: 'Little to no' patronage, not 'much fewer'
Quote from: Toyota Camry on October 18, 2021, 09:19:06 PMthe lockdown has now ended in Canberra, and it is legal to ride on buses for fun
When was it not ever legal to do it for fun? Even though I may not have always been satisfied that I wasn't getting any Renault's during the lockdown (excluding seeing 943 and 969 on trainer runs), I consider most of trips to be quite fun, especially knowing that I'm increasing my numbers towards my ultimate goal. Sitting up the very back of an artic by myself and watching the front wheel turn as the driver maneuvers around a very tight corner very quickly without hitting the curb is quite exciting! You may not, but I considered all of my trips during the lockdown to have been essential, and I even made sure to go on buses at specific times of the days and on routes I know would have little to no patronage - keeping to Tuggeranong and Woden Valleys as that was all that was necessary.

Toyota Camry

I am extremely concerned by information at https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/ stating that the mask mandate on public transport in the ACT will end on November 26; this site is claiming the mask mandate will only continue in high risk settings such as hospitals and nursing homes beyond this date. It is strongly recommended that you contact your local MLA demanding an extension of the mask mandate on Transport Canberra buses and light rail services; I will be refusing to travel by bus if masks are not mandatory.

Barry Drive

Does it? (Might need the URL of the actual page or article, because I couldn't see any mention)

If it's true, it's not surprising - the mask mandate had to end at some point. IMO once we achieve a 95% or higher vaccination rate the risk will be low, and the CHO and Chief Minister have always adopted a risk management approach to their health directions.

Feel free to continue wearing a mask (or two) if you so choose.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I mean if you're really worried, you could just cover your face with masking tape. You won't be able to breath, but you won't catch anything from anyone.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on October 21, 2021, 09:20:03 PMI am extremely concerned by information at https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/ stating that the mask mandate on public transport in the ACT will end on November 26; this site is claiming the mask mandate will only continue in high risk settings such as hospitals and nursing homes beyond this date. It is strongly recommended that you contact your local MLA demanding an extension of the mask mandate on Transport Canberra buses and light rail services; I will be refusing to travel by bus if masks are not mandatory.

What is stopping you from still wearing your mask?  Plus you can choose to sit by yourself too.   So with those facets, then why refuse to travel via bus?

As a side note, will you also refuse to go into shops where there may be a mask less citizen.  Alternatively, will you refuse to go into a kfc if they are not wearing masks? 

Can you please answer these questions as I would really like an answer.  You have, many times come up with various recommendations, but you never come back to justify your points - especially when someone comes back with what seems to be a valid point that refutes your claims.  Just would like to see your reasoning on some of your posts.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 22, 2021, 05:45:05 PMDoes it? (Might need the URL of the actual page or article, because I couldn't see any mention)

If it's true, it's not surprising - the mask mandate had to end at some point. IMO once we achieve a 95% or higher vaccination rate the risk will be low, and the CHO and Chief Minister have always adopted a risk management approach to their health directions.

Feel free to continue wearing a mask (or two) if you so choose.
This disturbing news is listed at https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1874473/PATHWAY-FORWARD-DOCUMENT-23102021-1026.pdf; this article states that face masks will only be required in high risk settings after November 26, which are listed on https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/stay-safe-and-healthy/advice-for-high-risk-settings and does not include public transport.

Other jurisdictions including New South Wales and now Victoria (this is reported today in the "Herald Sun"; a Melbourne newspaper) have committed to making the mask mandate permanent on public transport permanent on public transport, and are not removing it as part of their roadmaps; there is strong precedent being set by other jurisdictions in this regard, however the ACT and Queensland are both making the mistake of removing the mask requirement on public transport next month.

I will be continuing to wear a mask in public beyond November 26, as should others; it is extremely important that all persons are wearing a fitted face mask as the purpose of wearing a mask is to avoid the wearer transmitting COVID-19 to others, not to protect the wearer, hence it is not simply enough for myself to be wearing a mask if others are not.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on October 23, 2021, 09:40:53 PMI will be continuing to wear a mask in public beyond November 26, as should others; it is extremely important that all persons are wearing a fitted face mask as the purpose of wearing a mask is to avoid the wearer transmitting COVID-19 to others, not to protect the wearer, hence it is not simply enough for myself to be wearing a mask if others are not.

But will you refuse to go into a KFC if any of the staff and/or customers are not wearing masks?  This is an important question because the demographics of the majority of people in a KFC are either teenagers and/or people aged in their 20s - and also people who are deemed to be in a high risk contagious category due to their frequent proximity to each other, and should I say, their carefree attitude to others.

This is an important question as the answer may reflect on how we should be living from now on.

Toyota Camry

November 09, 2021, 08:41:08 AM #59 Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:49:17 AM by Barry Drive
Excellent news has been announced by ACT Health today; whilst masks will no longer be required indoors in other settings as of Friday, the mask mandate is being retained on Transport Canberra bus and light rail services, as well as for schools and hospitals; details are below.