January 18, 2022, 08:35:46 AM

LR general discussion

Started by Sylvan Loves Buses, December 09, 2017, 05:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

triumph

Does anyone know how Canberra Metro Operations formally identify each of the two tracks? (Down/Up; Northbound/Southbound; West/East; 1/2; etc)

triumph

Light rail terminal operations usually involving crossing over to the departure track on arrival, so departures are straight ahead. (At busy times the reverse procedure is also used, mostly alternatively.) The actual cross overs are a 'scissors' arrangement where the crossover tracks intersect each other midway.

But in wet weather, such as happened today, the reverse of the usual routine is used. LRVs arrive straight ahead and cross over on departure. Why? Well it happens that run-off water tends to wash debris (from the landscaping mostly) towards the terminals with the points used to divert to the crossover for arriving (being the outermost) thus being at possible greater risk of the blade, due to debris, not being fully home, with (if unnoticed) consequent derailment or 'splitting the points' risk. Reversing the normal arrival/departure procedure at less busy times (such as weekend services) conveniently provides risk mitigation by the inner points being used to divert and outer arriving points being locked in the straight ahead position, also this reduces frequent inspection and debris clearing during wet weather costs. 
(Note: Debris reaching the inner arriving points tends to wash straight through, so operating the points to crossover on departure is less likely to cause problems.)

ajw373

Noticed today that the carpark next to the Swindon Street stop has been resigned as a Park and Ride. Gather that means users now need a park and ride permit to park there. Grrrrr

Barry Drive

I saw that recently as well. The signs are not "Permit Zone" signs even though they are red. So they may not legally be required to show a permit. Also, the location is not listed on the TC website (yet).

If in doubt, call 131710 or 132281.

ajw373

Must admit I've not understood the requirement for permits except in locations like town centres where the parking is paid and park and ride "free". Elsewhere at places like Swindon street don't see the point for a permit system. Should just be first in best server we which is what has been the case at Swindon st for the past 18 months

Busnerd

Presumably as all the parking around Dickson Shops are paid/timed, as such that carpark you speak of usually fills up quite early. I assume the reason for a permit here is to push people to use public transport by giving them free parking at the expense of locals just parking and walking to the shops to work to save money on parking fees.

ajw373

Quote from: Busnerd on December 17, 2020, 09:29:52 AMPresumably as all the parking around Dickson Shops are paid/timed, as such that carpark you speak of usually fills up quite early. I assume the reason for a permit here is to push people to use public transport by giving them free parking at the expense of locals just parking and walking to the shops to work to save money on parking fees.

Actually Dickson workers park closer to the Mouat Street intersection adjacent to the ovals. I've never seen anyone park at Swindon Street stop and walk towards Dickson.

Busnerd

I see that all as essentially the same carpark, also Swinden*.

ajw373

Quote from: Busnerd on December 20, 2020, 07:28:23 PMI see that all as essentially the same carpark, also Swinden*.

Park and ride signs are only on the section immediately adjacent to the stop.

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 16, 2020, 07:16:52 PMI saw that recently as well. The signs are not "Permit Zone" signs even though they are red. So they may not legally be required to show a permit. Also, the location is not listed on the TC website (yet)

Swindon Street now appears on the Park and Ride map and doesn't require a permit.

So begs the question why they bothered changing the signs at the stop, though make sense having the blue park and ride signs on the main road pointing in.

Busnerd


triumph

Light Rail delay today
Late mid afternoon on 004 arrived N bound at Dickson Interchange. 005 was waiting S bound. Waited and watched. 008 came and went N bound. 005 still there. Reason now apparent. Ambulance arrived and someone on 005 was attended to. OO6 arrived N bound and both 006 and 005 departed simultaneously, with ambulance then leaving. N bound platform quickly became crowded with school students. 010,013, and 011 followed 005 in quick succession, then 009. Next N bound service was 005 back from Alinga St and already crowded. 010 arrived shortly after and picked up a substantial number of students unable to board 005, still some passengers incl person with a bike left over. Backlog cleared shortly after by 013. Service PA announcements referred to 'experiencing slight delays'.

It was interesting that though it is claimed there are standby staff, no LRV arrived to reverse over the crossover as soon as 005 left to fill in N bound, nor, alternatively, was any of the lightly loaded close headway LRVs following 005 terminated and reversed over the crossover to provide a fill in N bound. No doubt there was initial doubt about the nature and length of the delay and the actual delays were perhaps marginal which would mitigate turning out a standby LRV (it is even possible an earlier incident/failure could have seen the standby already deployed). But not terminating one of the closely spaced S bound LRVs and reversing back over the crossover to provide a fill in N bound service indicates a certain operational rigidity or lack of agility in responding to a service interruption. Again as the situation evolved and information was gained there would have been inevitably some initial hesitation in response. But quite clearly the moment 006 departed to the N it was clear that without a fill in passengers would have to wait for 005 to return from Alinga St and for the following service too.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just read the email regarding the works around the London Circuit bridge. Isn't it a little excessive for the southbound buses to go via Constitution Avenue when they've usually gone straight to Vernon Circle in the past?
It probably doesn't matter as barely anyone's on the buses so the delays wouldn't be that bad at present.

Bus 400

That map is for general traffic that encounter the road closure on London Circuit. 

Going by the TC website, the Legislating Assembly stops are closed this weekend. So it's safe to say Commonly Avenue buses will go via Vernon Circle

narc855

Yesterday I noticed that the speed limit of the track has reduced from 70 to 65 (there's still a small part with a speed limit of 70), anyone knows when was it changed?

Busnerd

You will have to be more specific of which part you are referring to.

narc855

Quote from: Busnerd on December 14, 2021, 07:18:18 PMYou will have to be more specific of which part you are referring to.
Like Sandford St to Well Station Drive, can't be specific enough however I think all tracks with a speed limit of 65km/h are previously 70km/h. A small length of the track (after Flemington Rd turns westward) still has a speed limit of 70km/h btw.

Busnerd

I think that happened a fair while ago, either last year or early this year. That said, I've noticed that between Macarthur Avenue and Dickson it used to be 50km/h and is now 60km/h - I think these changed around the same time.

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on December 15, 2021, 08:41:44 AMLike Sandford St to Well Station Drive, can't be specific enough however I think all tracks with a speed limit of 65km/h are previously 70km/h. A small length of the track (after Flemington Rd turns westward) still has a speed limit of 70km/h btw.
Here's a possible clue. The Sydney morning Herald 'revealed last week' that CAF had written to the Government (that is the NSW government) in November 'suggesting the cracks (inner West route trams) had been caused by the trams running through bends in the tracks at relative high speed'. Umm. Surely the manufacturer has properly specified performance parameters and relative limitations. I find it hard to believe that usage was beyond those specifications, and to just suggest..... Well! Never-the-less Sandford Street to Well Station is a curvy section and perhaps caution pending a fix has been recommended. Perhaps there are other non-performance related concerns such as minimising wear and tear.

Secondly the NSW Transport Minister and Transport for NSW Chief Operations Officer have announced that the inner west service, initially as far as Lilyfield, will resume in February using several trams (initially only 4, unstated as to whether coupled sets or single but assume single, to suit platform lengths) from the CBD line. So it appears that platform height and wheel profile issues are being overcome. How, is not indicated. Anything from one or more of  precise measurement to track mods to wheel mods/replacement or even complete bogie replacement could be speculated. Anyone know any facts? (Whilst the connection is the same model tram here as the cracked ones in Sydney and it is interesting, perhaps this subject is in danger of drifting away from Canberra matters?)

     

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on December 17, 2021, 11:12:33 PMHere's a possible clue. The Sydney morning Herald 'revealed last week' that CAF had written to the Government (that is the NSW government) in November 'suggesting the cracks (inner West route trams) had been caused by the trams running through bends in the tracks at relative high speed'. Umm. Surely the manufacturer has properly specified performance parameters and relative limitations. I find it hard to believe that usage was beyond those specifications, and to just suggest..... Well! Never-the-less Sandford Street to Well Station is a curvy section and perhaps caution pending a fix has been recommended. Perhaps there are other non-performance related concerns such as minimising wear and tear.

Secondly the NSW Transport Minister and Transport for NSW Chief Operations Officer have announced that the inner west service, initially as far as Lilyfield, will resume in February using several trams (initially only 4, unstated as to whether coupled sets or single but assume single, to suit platform lengths) from the CBD line. So it appears that platform height and wheel profile issues are being overcome. How, is not indicated. Anything from one or more of  precise measurement to track mods to wheel mods/replacement or even complete bogie replacement could be speculated. Anyone know any facts? (Whilst the connection is the same model tram here as the cracked ones in Sydney and it is interesting, perhaps this subject is in danger of drifting away from Canberra matters?)

     

Not sure how that is related. Vast majority of the track is straight.

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on December 15, 2021, 08:41:44 AMLike Sandford St to Well Station Drive, can't be specific enough however I think all tracks with a speed limit of 65km/h are previously 70km/h. A small length of the track (after Flemington Rd turns westward) still has a speed limit of 70km/h btw.

Quote from: ajw373 on December 19, 2021, 06:06:53 PMNot sure how that is related. Vast majority of the track is straight.

Sandford Street to Well Station Drive is quite curvy, and being the length cited (as I quoted previously in my comment), is what my comment clearly related to.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on December 19, 2021, 09:16:18 PMSandford Street to Well Station Drive is quite curvy, and being the length cited (as I quoted previously in my comment), is what my comment clearly related to.


That section has one long sweeping curve and very minor splaying at stops both of which are in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

Especially when compared to the curved sections of the inner west line in Sydney. The section from the Casino to Fish Markets has about 5 changes in curve direction which i believe where the main issue is.

But even beyond Lilyfield the line is very rarely straight with gentle but frequent changes in curve direction.   

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on December 20, 2021, 07:01:18 PMThat section has one long sweeping curve and very minor splaying at stops both of which are in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

Especially when compared to the curved sections of the inner west line in Sydney. The section from the Casino to Fish Markets has about 5 changes in curve direction which i believe where the main issue is.

But even beyond Lilyfield the line is very rarely straight with gentle but frequent changes in curve direction. 

Actually, ignoring the splaying, there are 4 curves in the section, some though almost straight. I agree with the inference that it is hardly comparable, but what we don't know is what CAF may or may not have said and if the speed limit change decision related to that at all. Nor do we know what the upper speed limit for the profile of the two main curves could be. I posted the information as a possible 'clue', not a fact.