Bunker shelters

Started by smitho, July 12, 2009, 06:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Ah, so a similar arrangement to London Circuit then? One stop for the blue rapid and another for the rest?

The Love Guru

Nope. Blue rapid doesn't pass that stop. They'll stop on Haydon Dr once they turn into it.
They are yet to mark where the Belconnen bound stop is going to be. I'm hoping it's the first part of the new bus Bay built outside the college and not up at the new traffic lights on College Street.
Can anyone remember where it goes on the plans?

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 27, 2014, 11:06:51 AM
Ah, so a similar arrangement to London Circuit then? One stop for the blue rapid and another for the rest?

Not exactly. The College street stop closest to Haydon Drive has/will be been completely removed. Simple as that. On the Belconnen side they have created a pick-up set down space for the College, not sure if any buses will use it.

The new stop on Haydon Drive is for services that turn left at the end of College Street and they have/will make changes to the stops on the south for services that turn right, which are of course the blue rapids.

I think that is a little bit different to London CCT where they have two adjacent bus stops, one for Blue Rapid and another for the rest. No doubt if there was non Blue Rapid that turned right it would use the same stop as the Blue Rapid.

ajw373

Quote from: The Love Guru on January 27, 2014, 11:40:46 AM
Nope. Blue rapid doesn't pass that stop. They'll stop on Haydon Dr once they turn into it.
They are yet to mark where the Belconnen bound stop is going to be. I'm hoping it's the first part of the new bus Bay built outside the college and not up at the new traffic lights on College Street.

Here ya go. (though doesn't show the new stop on the north of Haydon Drive)

http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/396342/Belconnen_to_City_Transitway_-_Belconnen_Sector.pdf

Barry Drive

What's been built doesn't match the plans previously published, so they won't be of any use.

My initial thoughts was that there would be a stop on Haydon Dr at the start of the bus lane, but there are no road markings or signs.

Based on what's already built, there will only be one stop - on College St before the traffic lights (the current school only stop). The stop outside the college has 3pm - 4pm signs installed for the full length. But maybe if enough people complain, they might put one in.

We should know next week.

Buzz Killington

I meant that the Blue Rapid would use the current southbound stop on College St closest to Haydon, and that non-rapids would use the new stop on Haydon. But if they're removing the former, obviously not.

Will be interesting to see what the new setup is.

Barry Drive

The current bunker shelter stops at UC are the ones likely to be removed.

Maybe.

The Love Guru

So to clear it up

UC bus stops - Both will be removed from service and replaced by 2 new stops yet to built further towards Belconnen for access to the accommodation end of the university (tho if the plans have changes then who knows what will happen)

Radford College stops - Both have been removed. Belconnen bound stop is the bone of contention, with the obvious place for the new stop the start of the new bus bay that has been built, as only 1 stop would be needed to service routes from both directions off Haydon Dr. It is more likely from the markings on the road and the signage that the bus stop will be where the current temporary school only bus stop is located for Radford College. Unfortunately if this turns out to be the case Bruce residents will have further to walk than they did with the old arrangement. That would be kind of silly seeing as though they get a much closer stop City bound.

New stops - 2 new stops have been installed on Haydon Dr, Directly after the bus either turns left or right out of College street. As ACTbusspotter alluded to, the 3&7 and any service that uses Eardley will not stop at either of the new Haydon Dr stops.

Should all be cleared up before schools starts back in a week

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on January 24, 2014, 09:01:54 PM
Let's hope they give it a re-paint before it is commissioned...same goes for those grubby, recently relocated bunkers on Hayden Drive near Fern Hill park.
You will be pleased to hear that the Haydon Dr shelters were being painted yesterday.

Buzz Killington

A bunker has been installed on Kingsford Smith Drive citybound just after Wirraway Crescent

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 30, 2014, 10:33:20 AMYou will be pleased to hear that the Haydon Dr shelters were being painted yesterday.

This "new" bunker has been installed with a "list" (tilt) in the direction of Belconnen Way.

Nice to see it looking good after a thorough repaint.

Barry Drive

Two have been installed on Johnson Dr near Calwell Shops P&R, along with footpath improvements.

Bus 400

The southbound bunker outside Musuem Of Australian Democracy has been removed.

King of Buses

Theodore Terminus now has a bunker installed

Bus 400

A bunker has been moved to a new stop on Warragamba Dr west of Jindabyne St.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: King of Buses on August 01, 2015, 07:34:47 PM
Theodore Terminus now has a bunker installed

In addition to the existing facility? Or was that removed?

King of Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 01, 2015, 09:19:48 PM
In addition to the existing facility? Or was that removed?

I don't remember any other facilities being there in recent years...
If you mean the shelter/driver facilities (like at say, Fraser West or Spence) that was on the inner side of the terminus I think and has been gone a while...
It's just the bunker and the bus stop pole(s) now.

Buzz Killington

I haven't been to Theodore in a few years now, but this is what I was referring to:

Yes Buzz, that structure has been gone for a while, now. The bunker is on the opposite side of the terminus road to this, as buses turn through here in a clockwise direction.

King of Buses

I'd say that structure has been gone since the locals got rid of the terminating buses...whingers. Funny thing is that particularly weekends, buses pull up there and wait for timing on the 71/171/971.

Buzz Killington

One of the bunkers on Lhotsky St Charnwood seems to have received a new interior mural. Not sure how recently it happened.

It's the one closest to Sport Way.

The Love Guru

An approved mural or just one from the locals?

Buzz Killington

It features a rainbow and the 'classic' ACTION logo. The inside wall is fully painted. Looks decent. Not sure if it's been officially sanctioned but it's not graffiti. Given the location, we'll have to get a photo before it's vandalised.

Bus 400

The stop on Sternberg Crescent opposite Langdon Avenue is being relocated closer to Comrie Street. I'm assuming this bunker shelter is being moved here or somewhere else.

The old stop is now inside a soon to be traffic lighted intersection.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

King of Buses

Two more Bunker shelters have recently been moved to Watson. One opposite Watson Terminus (which has had an upgrade from a dirt patch to a proper concreted bay/stop) and one at a new stop on Aspinall St near Antill St, opposite the existing stop. One says "TO BELCONNEN" and the other says "TO CITY," so I suspect these two may have come from Leverrier Crescent in Bruce (via Fyshwick Depot or wherever they store them).

It'll be interesting to see how many Bunkers get moved owing to the new network. Gaunson Cres, Longmore Cres, Clancy St, Groom St, Hodgson Cres and Beasley St will all be unserviced in part or their entirety, for example - there's plenty of other examples too. Hopefully a couple get moved to the Molonglo Valley (and at least one to a certain street in the Lanyon Valley :P  )

Barry Drive

One of the removed Goyder St bunkers has been relocated to Denison St - outside Deakin Pool. You can tell it came from Goyder St because the QCity 831 timetable is still attached.

I can't imagine that many unused bunkers will be removed since it is an expensive job. The oOh! and Stoddart shelters may be done first since they are easier to move.

Sylvan Loves Buses

And there's so many others they could choose from. Such as this one not too far up the road from Narrabundah College. How long ago was this used for normal routes if at all?

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 12, 2019, 01:51:14 PMAnd there's so many others they could choose from. Such as this one not too far up the road from Narrabundah College. How long ago was this used for normal routes if at all?

The 35 and 935 would be the most recent regular routes to have serviced that one. Given school routes have probably been servicing that stop until today, it's not unreasonable to have kept a shelter there.

Bus 400

4 shelters have been installed at the 2 sets of stops on Hoskins St, Mitchell.

Facebook page "Find It In Mitchell" are set to do something to these shelters.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

Bus 400

A tender has gone out for redundant bunker shelters from Turner, Phillip, Duffy & Higgins are set to be relocated to Wright & Gungahlin suburbs.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

There are bunker C#elters in Phillip, where?

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 08, 2020, 09:01:00 PMThere are bunker C#elters in Phillip, where?

There's two on Hindmarsh Dr between Ainsworth St and Yamba Dr.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh yeah my bad. Really gotta touch up on my border knowledge, Canberra is so weird.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Vosper street shelter is now being removed too :'( :'( :'( :'(

Barry Drive

There is now a list of Transport Canberra bunker shelters on the ACT Bus website [http://actbus.net/bunker-shelters]

Assuming the list is reasonably accurate, there are approx 30 bunker shelters at disused stops.

Some recent movements and removals may not have been included, so if anyone has any errors or omissions to report, post them here or add comments to the article.

The QCity bunker stops within the ACT may be added at a later time.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 22, 2020, 01:33:16 PMBench on one side, and one of the few remaining bunker shelters with intact windows.
I've got bad news.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Someone vandalised it or TC removing/relocating it?

Bunker at stop 4269 Coulter/Lachlan damaged.

Barry Drive

Saw that on Thursday. Incident believed to have occurred on Wednesday night (5 October).

Can't imagine that is repairable.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Damn, not as indestructable as I thought. They must've been going very fast for that kind of damage. :o

triumph

A bunker shelter seems to be in the process of being installed in Felstead Vista, Denman Prospect.

triumph

Was this noted in this thread about Bunker Shelters?
The Australian Institute of Architecture in 2021 gave the design the 'Sir Roy Grounds Award for Enduring Architecture'. The Institute commented
 "a remarkable design for a functional pre-cast concrete shelter, with a radical cylindrical form and fibreglass windows, suggesting space-age technology" and  "architectural integrity and enduring quality of the design is evident through its simplicity, functionality, and materiality".
A heavyweight accolade indeed.
(Sir Roy Grounds, as probably we all know, was the Architect responsible for the Shine Dome architectural design. Round buildings were a speciality of Sir Roy.)

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on December 03, 2022, 10:53:49 PMA bunker shelter seems to be in the process of being installed in Felstead Vista, Denman Prospect.
Thanks for the reminder. The list of Bunker Shelters has been updated to include this one.

Barry Drive

Can't say when it started, but quite a few bunkers have recently had solar powered lights installed internally. And a solar panel & battery (presumably) on the roof.

Mostly at major stops / high usage stops.

Quite likely the rollout has only just started, since there's been no announcement from the Government or TC.

Stan butler

I wonder how long it will be before those solar cells and batteries start to disappear.  I imagine it won't take long at all - that's probably why they aren't making any announcements on the rollout.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I saw one being put up a couple weeks ago into one of the shelters on Canberra Avenue.

Barry Drive

Canberra Avenue? At HMAS Harman?

Sylvan Loves Buses

No, the one on the edge of Kingston. They must've been doing measurements or something the other day because I saw the lights and solar panels sitting on the seat. I passed by today however and there's nothing there so I don't know.

Barry Drive

I should have been clearer.

The only bunker shelters on Canberra Avenue are near Harman. AFAIK all other shelters are oOh!

Also: Canberra Avenue does not run through Kingston; only Fyshwick, Narrabundah, Griffith and Forrest.

However, there are bunker shelters on Wentworth Avenue, just after the Railway Station. (Along Route R2.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Sorry, yes I meant Wentworth. I always forget where Canberra Avenue diverges - even though I ride the R2 once a week. Bus stop 2235.