ACTIONs Latest Ed-dition

Started by Ed, January 14, 2009, 03:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busnerd

LOL! at that ad...

But TP3000, what Mr Snrub was saying is, you don't have to have read a timetable, I think he means, if you have a good idea of all the routes in the network, and where they go, and sure, some of us could tell them entire routes with L's and R's with no problem, you could just say you something like you know the transport network extremely well and have a good understanding on how it works etc.

Plus you know how to read one and if need be you know how to help someone read one :P

Good luck acvbn, hope you get it...

For those who aren't interested I get my full licence in exactly 9 months today :P

Busnerd

how lame...

Note: Attachment has expired.

Ed

Interview went fairly well. They told me to wait for approx. another week for the training cell to call whether I am successful or not. But being ACTION, I suppose that one week can be translated into four weeks.

Bus 400

Congrats, but you can't bad mouth your future boss just yet. As their are ACTION spies on this website & they will report what you have said.

Irisbus Rider

Bus 400

Yep, they use the forum to see what the person is like with the general public & at keeping business secrets.

Buzz Killington

Posting any confidential operations information on this forum is not permitted and we'll remove said information and members if it does appear.

Bus 400

I know that, I mean like posting things like saying in Network '10 ACTION will turn the current weekend network into the Monday to Friday routes. Something that wll upset everyone, but no saying that ACTION has been short changing MAN $50,000 per bus by altering with the buses. (not real)

Busnerd

Yes of course, as all applicants for ACTION join and then post here...*rolly eyes*

Bus 400

Yyyeeesss they all do, of course they don't, just some as we only have 2/3 members marked as ACTION drivers.

Ed

I had another run through with a trainer assessor today. This time I drove a 100.2 around Tuggy depot, then onto the streets to Kambah, Chapman, through the Coppins Crossing road to Belco, then somewhere around spence and Melba. Then straight back to Tuggy depot. It took around 2 hours. The good news is that I officially start with ACTION on April 30.

Bus 400

Let me be the first to say congratulations & I hope to see you around one day.

Irisbus Rider

Congratulations! Yeah, will probably see you around town.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

Cool, do you know which depot you will be stationed at to start with?

belcodriver

Quote from: Renault PR100.3 on March 04, 2009, 07:37:24 PM
Cool, do you know which depot you will be stationed at to start with?

It's usually whichever one is furthest from your home :)

Ed

They said the three week driver training will be conducted at Belconnen depot. But sometime during the three week training you will be able to pick your depot.

smitho

Quote from: acvbn on March 05, 2009, 05:06:39 PM
They said the three week driver training will be conducted at Belconnen depot. But sometime during the three week training you will be able to pick your depot.
Congratulations acvbn. By the sound of it, you've yet to do your TISC training (usually 2 to 4 days, depending on your experience). The TISC training always takes place before the 3 week ACTION course at Belconnen Depot. Which Depot will you go for?

Bus 400

Please say Tuggeranong.

Has there ever been a case (that anyone can think of) where one depot had enough drivers so a driver was unable to pick that depot?

Ed

Quoteyou've yet to do your TISC training (usually 2 to 4 days, depending on your experience

I've already got an HR licence so I get to skip that bit. But I'll have to do more "dead runs" with a trainer assessor before April 30.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 05, 2009, 09:45:24 PM
Please say Tuggeranong.

Has there ever been a case (that anyone can think of) where one depot had enough drivers so a driver was unable to pick that depot?

Happens all the time, but drivers are usually only stuck at their non-preferred depot for a few months. It's not only new drivers, sometimes it's new fulltimers and artic qualified part-timers.

Bus 400

What sort of shift start/finish times are "newbies" given? Also do newbies get any sort of runs like full busses/school runs/empty routes?

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 06, 2009, 12:25:41 PM
What sort of shift start/finish times are "newbies" given? Also do newbies get any sort of runs like full busses/school runs/empty routes?
New drivers go straight in to the pool of 'floaters' - that is, drivers who don't have their 'own' shifts, so they will most likely get weekly shifts covering all sorts of runs from school buses, to Xpressos, locals and intertowns and can also pick up Specials if they volunteer to do so (charter runs).
Start and finish times can be at any times over the operating day depending on the shift.

smitho

Quote from: acvbn on March 06, 2009, 09:20:23 AM
Quoteyou've yet to do your TISC training (usually 2 to 4 days, depending on your experience

I've already got an HR licence so I get to skip that bit. But I'll have to do more "dead runs" with a trainer assessor before April 30.
Interesting - when I went through, I and others who already had their HR licence still had to go through the TISC assessment process, but then we didn't have to do the dead runs with a trainer assessor which you are doing.

Bus 400

Well tonight I saw a driver with "Driver Training" on the desto heading up Athllon Drive, it was a big green bus (Scania/MAN) but I was going too fast & it was getting dark to tell which one. Which means one of acvbn Class Mates has started his training (I think).

Bus 400

ACTION are now hiring drivers that are as good as the ones at Tuggeranong Depot & myself. I am in the process of applying & hope to be successful. The ad can be found at http://www.jobs.act.gov.au under TAMS Agency & at the bottom of the page.

Ed

I wish you good luck in your application and I hope that you are successful. As a side note, be prepared to wait at least a few months for your application to be processed. I put my application in at the end of November last year. It's been 5 months for me.   

Buzz Killington

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 19, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
ACTION are now hiring drivers that are as good as the ones at Tuggeranong Depot & myself.

I wouldn't put those two in the same category but okay..

Bus 400

Thanks I am expecting the wait & Mr Snrub you just wait & see.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 19, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
ACTION are now hiring drivers that are as good as the ones at Tuggeranong Depot & myself. I am in the process of applying & hope to be successful. The ad can be found at http://www.jobs.act.gov.au under TAMS Agency & at the bottom of the page.
Good on you TP; good luck.
Some advice - make a really good effort with your application. Respond to the selection criteria fully, with examples from your past personal & work experience if you can.
Some applicants don't get past this first hurdle because they just don't address the criteria.

Bus 400

Thanks smitho, I am having a bit of help from a wife of a Tuggeranong Depot driver who's wife is someone in ACT Government HR & has helped out other drivers before. So it should hopefully be good, this same driver has also helped me with some questions like what driving a bus is like.

My application wouldn't be affected by me just getting a fine for driving in a Transit Lane? Had no demerit points taken off just a $169 fine which I'll just pay with Fed Tax Bonus so hehe.

Admin edit: I think we can do without your personal views on our police force

smitho

TP 3000
Re your fine for driving in the transit lane, all I can advise is to own up to it in your application. I'd be very surprised if it would put you out of the field.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 07, 2009, 10:32:47 PM
Which means one of acvbn Class Mates has started his training (I think).
(A) if Ed starts with ACTION on 30 April then his class mates also start on 30 April. It would be a different intake.

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 20, 2009, 05:49:29 PM
My application wouldn't be affected by me just getting a fine for driving in a Transit Lane? Had no demerit points taken off just a $169 fine which I'll just pay with Fed Tax Bonus so hehe.
(B) There is enforcement of transit lanes in Canberra? I've never seen it happen.
(C) WTF were you doing driving in a transit lane? Do you park in bus stops as well?

Buzz Killington

He thinks his dog counted as a second passenger. Unfortunately the australian road rules specify that you must have a second PERSON in the car.

And yeah, they are enforced. One of my friends got booked after she followed about 10 other cars overtaking a very slow vehicle in the right lane, and used the T2 to do so. (as luck would have it, only she was booked)

Bus 400

I didn't think it would affect me, as I was driving where the buses drive in. I have parked in bus bays to drop my Gran off for the bus & it easier for her to walk to the shelter rather then risk crossing at Woden Interchange.

I think that there is a blitz on lately, but it is a bit early-as the police are usually strict close to end of financial year. But he just happened to see me as I was moving off to go down State Circle.

Buzz Killington

Stopping in a bus bay to let out an elderly passenger is a bit different to driving in a T2 lane by yourself.

Bus 400

Ed

I did another dummy run with a trainer assessor at Tuggy depot, this time I drove up to Belconnen and through Belco depot and down to the ANU (which is the biggest pain in the arse). This will be the last dummy run before my three week paid training starting on April 22nd (they moved it forward a week).

Buzz Killington

What bus were you in Ed? I was driving past the ANU today along Barry Dr and saw a Mk1 Renault heading in there.

Ed

If it had the "Driver under instruction" plates on, then it would most likely be me. I was driving a 100.2 Mk1, I didn't quite catch the number but I can tell you it was 7??.

Buzz Killington

i was driving the opposite direction and didnt get a good look, but i think it was a 76# series. Probably would have been mid morning, maybe around 11.00-11.20

Ed

Was it turning right from Barry Drive into the ANU?

Buzz Killington

nah, it was on the Belconnen bound side near Kingsley St. I only noticed it because it was in the left lane, trundling along fairly slowly in the left lane with its left indicator on.

Ed

I went that way for the second loop around ANU, if there was an Asian guy standing in the front of the bus, then that would be me.

Buzz Killington

Cool... Probably would've noticed the L's and a fleet number but i was more concerned with the idiot in the lane next to me who looked like he was about to try and cut me off (he did)

Bus 400

In the ACT Gazette, 6 new drivers have started training with ACTION as of 20 March 2009. I'll keep an eye out for you Ed in the coming weeks.

ADMIN: I don't think its necessary to include the names.

Bus 400

This week only 2 drivers were added to ACTION & they started 26/03/09. But the funny thing is that these new drivers earn $9,000 a year then those that started a week earlier.

But I also picked up a few tips as a bus driver from the RATEC guys they are:

-People will whinge (especially Public Servants) & you will see certain things, but let it all blow over & ignore it.
-Don't become a dobber as you will be singled out.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on April 09, 2009, 06:41:23 PM
This week only 2 drivers were added to ACTION & they started 26/03/09. But the funny thing is that these new drivers earn $9,000 a year then those that started a week earlier.

What the hell does this mean? Should 'more' be between 'then' (sic) and 'those'? If so I'd be extremely surprised if it's true.

Bus 400

Woops missed a word.

In the ACT Gazette dated 09/04/09- http://www.gazettes.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/131856/G0914.pdf go to page 17
In the ACT Gazette dated 02/04/09- http://www.gazettes.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/131854/G0913.pdf go to page 12

belcodriver

I think you've misinterpreted that because we've just got a pay rise, effective from April 2nd or 3rd. So the first lot would have been on the lower rate and the second on the higher. Although it was only 4% not enough to account for the difference. Anyway all bus drivers get paid the same except for those who haven't yet got their HR/artic upgrade (normally done 6 months after starting) who get about $2/hr less.

The figures for annual pay given in the gazettes are based on a 38hr week I believe but actual annual pay varies widely.