Recent posts

Fleet / Re: Renaults a go go: the fina...
Last post by L94UBbusfan - Today at 07:15:39 PM
Quote from: 743 on Yesterday at 09:13:24 PMRenault sighted departing Calwell Shops on a 79 just now (yes - at 9:10pm).

I just saw a Renault on an 80 at 7pm. It isn't a Renault scheduled service. Keeping this on topic, I wonder which Renault will be the next to be retired? I think it should be 959, the last time I rode on it it sounded sick and had a problem just as I got off it, how lucky was I!
Canberra Metro / Re: Five New Trams
Last post by Busnerd - Today at 08:18:51 AM
They will have batteries added to the roof so whilst they will look like the Newcastle ones, they won't charge at the stops like their system, they will use the current network (Gungahlin to Alinga Street) to charge the batteries for the wire free section.

The new ones are essentially the same but as expected with all things there will be minor changes to the new ones, likely from 'lessons learned' from the first stage, but expect these to be minor differences like placement of items etc. I have heard these may have more hopper windows but unsure if they will allow passengers to open these or not (Current ones are usually locked).
Last post by Barry Drive - Yesterday at 11:16:25 PM
Quote from: L94UBbusfan on Yesterday at 07:16:48 PMAlso why would they order the new trams so early before stage 2A is complete?

https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/chris-steel-mla-media-releases/2022/vehicle-contract-signed-as-canberra-light-rail-stage-2a-gets-the-green-light

Or you could actually read what's already been said above:
Quote from: triumph on May 26, 2024, 12:10:17 AMAbout August 2022 5 new LRVs equipped for partial wire free operation were ordered from CAF in Spain. The intent is to bolster the fleet for the opening of Stage 2A to Commonwealth Park and provide substitutes to enable existing LRVs to be progressively removed from service for retrofitting of partial wire free operating equipment.
Last post by 743 - Yesterday at 09:13:24 PM
Renault sighted departing Calwell Shops on a 79 just now (yes - at 9:10pm).
Last post by L94UBbusfan - Yesterday at 08:34:36 PM
Looking into routes operated by Renaults, I believe there is only 1 Renault service scheduled on a Rapid route left. This is an R8 service to Belconnen in the late afternoon

Quote from: 743 on May 23, 2024, 05:44:17 PMincluding Tuggeranong fleet on Routes R5

As seen here, Rapid services may be operated by Renaults, but not scheduled. The R8 is the only scheduled Rapid route with a Renault.
Last post by L94UBbusfan - Yesterday at 07:16:48 PM
A few questions. How does the "wire free" system on the new trams work? Is it like Newcastle's or is it different? Will the trams be identical to the current trams in service or will they be slightly different? Also why would they order the new trams so early before stage 2A is complete?
Last post by triumph - Yesterday at 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: Busnerd on Yesterday at 10:47:42 AMI have heard from someone that they only ever send 1 or 2 trams at a time on ships for insurance reasons, i.e. in case the ship has a fire or sinks for any reason, the insurance would need to cover the total cost of the LRV's, which if an incident happened with all 5 on board it would be a massive cost, not including all the other items on the ship too. If that is the case, not to mention the way a production line works we can expect to receive only 1 or 2 at a time.
I did say that only one had been shipped. So only one for first arrival, possibly late June but probably in July.
Last post by Busnerd - Yesterday at 10:47:42 AM
I have heard from someone that they only ever send 1 or 2 trams at a time on ships for insurance reasons, i.e. in case the ship has a fire or sinks for any reason, the insurance would need to cover the total cost of the LRV's, which if an incident happened with all 5 on board it would be a massive cost, not including all the other items on the ship too. If that is the case, not to mention the way a production line works we can expect to receive only 1 or 2 at a time.
Last post by Bus 400 - May 26, 2024, 07:20:30 AM
It's something I've been on the look out for. Especially with the new NSW Trainlink trains being built & shipped from the factory. I'm not sure how many vehicles on rails a ship can transport.

Stage 2A light rail is wire free though & is due in a couple of years. 
Canberra Metro / Five New Trams
Last post by triumph - May 26, 2024, 12:10:17 AM
About August 2022 5 new LRVs equipped for partial wire free operation were ordered from CAF in Spain. The intent is to bolster the fleet for the opening of Stage 2A to Commonwealth Park and provide substitutes to enable existing LRVs to be progressively removed from service for retrofitting of partial wire free operating equipment. It is not clear to me whether the energy storage will be by supercapacitors (a la Newcastle) or batteries or a combination thereof. When these initial RVs were obtained it was said they were equipped for, not with, future wire free use needs. 

Little seems to have ben said on progress, but the whisper is that all are constructed, with one shipped and the rest in factory testing prior to shipment.