ACTIONs Latest Ed-dition

Started by Ed, January 14, 2009, 03:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Drove the 752 around TISC for three laps.

Split from "What Bus?" thread, hence the short first post. - R

Busnerd

752 sounded nicer before its engine blew up :P

I've driven Ex ACTION 767, very nice renaults are

Ed

QuoteHow did you go today acvbn?

Apparently I did well, they said they'll ring me in a couple of days whether I've made it through to the interview stage or not.

belcodriver

Quote from: acvbn on January 15, 2009, 03:26:31 PM
QuoteHow did you go today acvbn?

Apparently I did well, they said they'll ring me in a couple of days whether I've made it through to the interview stage or not.

Unless you're a total retard you should get the job irrespective of how you do in the interview, the driving assessment is the important thing.

If it's like it was when I had mine you'll get asked a few hypothetical questions about situations on the bus. The only one I can specifically remember was about drunk passengers. I said something like, "if they're a happy drunk do nothing, if aggro radio for help" which seemed to be correct. "I'd throw them off the bus" is definitely wrong. We aren't allowed to touch passengers.

Ed

Apparently they didn't ask me any questions on drunk passengers. We did a literacy and numeracy test, drove 3 laps around TISC and did a customer service exercise.

belcodriver

Quote from: acvbn on January 17, 2009, 09:08:47 AM
Apparently they didn't ask me any questions on drunk passengers. We did a literacy and numeracy test, drove 3 laps around TISC and did a customer service exercise.

Do you still have the interview to come then?

Busnerd

he wouldn't have had the formal interview yet...

They usually seem to do literacy and numeracy first before they go on...

As the interview comes after the initial driving test.

smitho

My initial ACTION driving assessment at TISC started with some easy laps around the circuit and then went on to emergency braking, reversing between two curved rows of witches hats and weaving in and out between witches hats.  I did the literacy and numeracy test at the same time. From memory I had bus 752.

Ed

QuoteDo you still have the interview to come then?
Yes, the interview is still to come. By the way, how long is the time period between the initial driving assessment and interview?

Bus 400

A  question that Southern Coast Transit asked someone was about children with a lost ticket & he had the wrong answer as the Transperth rule is that no child gets left behind. Just a little tip.

I do have one question that somebody may be able to answer: Who the 'O' endorsement, do you do that with ACTION or do you have to do all of that before applying? As while I got my new license I ended getting the pack to do with getting an ACT Public Bus thingy ma bob & I was just curious.

Ed

QuoteWho the 'O' endorsement, do you do that with ACTION or do you have to do all of that before applying?

Yes, you do that all with ACTION. But it doesn't matter to me either way as I already got it.

The Love Guru

I don't think there is room for 2 top drivers at ACTION!!!!! Maybe wait until i retire before reopening this thread.  :P  :P  :P

Busnerd

No, three top drivers...one just has to wait ten months and 4 days before applying :)

belcodriver

Quote from: acvbn on January 17, 2009, 09:25:19 PM
QuoteDo you still have the interview to come then?
Yes, the interview is still to come. By the way, how long is the time period between the initial driving assessment and interview?

Can't remember but it's probably somewhat variable anyway. I do remember that it took me 5 months from submitting my application til I started training and that mine was the second class from people who applied at the same time. Some of the later classes would have waited more than a year.

Ed

I rang the recruiting cell today and was told that I have been cleared to proceed to the next stage, because I passed the relevant assessments. The next stage would probably be the interview. They said that the applications have to go to the regional managers and then come back to the recruiting cell. Then the recruiting cell would then call me to arrange the interview.

Bus 400

Just wondering if to work at ACTION you have to wait until the info nights come around, or if you can apply at any time?

belcodriver

AFAIK you don't have to wait for the info nights as such BUT the info nights are held a few weeks before applications are due which is usually only once a year.

Busnerd

They did about 4 or 5 info nights last year if I recall correctly

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, they were desperate for new recruits last year, and did hold quite a few info nights.

Busnerd

The year before they did about three I think.

If theres one in october/november I will go  along

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

I also saw 754 out on driver trainin yesterday turning right onto Isabella Dr, Monash (following th 63 route).

smitho

Quote from: smitho on January 17, 2009, 07:28:24 PM
My initial ACTION driving assessment at TISC started with some easy laps around the circuit and then went on to emergency braking, reversing between two curved rows of witches hats and weaving in and out between witches hats.  I did the literacy and numeracy test at the same time. From memory I had bus 752.

So it sounds like the initial driving assessment at Sutton Rd no longer includes the witches hats exercises - just straightforward laps. Is that right?

Tip for interviews: Don't forget about the importance of school buses in ACTION's operations and appropriate driver behaviour when having problems with school kids - ie. report it to your supervisor and the ACTION customer service people; don't attempt to deal with the school concerned yourself and don't toss badly behaved kids off the bus.

smitho

TP3000
Although you don't have to wait for an information night before applying to ACTION, it doesn't hurt to ring the recruiting people and let them know you're interested. They will then give you some idea as to timing of the various stages of recruiting so you'll know where you stand. They will also tell you how to apply and what documentation to use ...

I applied without going to an info session and was put through the initial driving assessment, literacy and numeracy test, interview and TISC training before getting around to an information night.

Bus 400

Thanks smitho as I am unemployed at the moment & I just know that as soon as I get another job, ACTION will start calling for drivers & I don't want to risk the job I would have on becoming a bus driver.

Bus 400

Spoke with the Recruitment Co-Ordinator today.
He told me that they have enough applicants to last them until June/July & maybe even until next year.

The process for becoming a bus driver goes as follows:
1-Driver training
2-30min Literacy/Numeracy Test
3-Interview
4-Sucess

If you fail any part of this, you can't apply for another 6 months.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on January 27, 2009, 11:38:41 PM
Spoke with the Recruitment Co-Ordinator today.
He told me that they have enough applicants to last them until June/July & maybe even until next year.

The process for becoming a bus driver goes as follows:
1-Driver training
2-30min Literacy/Numeracy Test
3-Interview
4-Sucess

If you fail any part of this, you can't apply for another 6 months.

Surely you meant driver assessment - the 3 or so laps round the TISC track. There wouldn't be much point teaching people to drive only to later find they can't read.

Bus 400

I was told that Part 1 was a few laps around an private track.

Busnerd

Buzz Killington

should read
1. Few laps around TISC

5. Driver Training

Bus 400

On Monday I saw a driver being trained on 385 (the first ride on a MAN bus). He was doing the 08:09 61 to Tuggeranong Interchange. He did almost have the bus taken out while coming out of Kambah onto Athllon Drive, when he attempted to move off as an other car was flying down. But the trainer pointed it out.

But I am wondering at what stage a drivers taught to drive the new buses? As I know it the next 10-15 years all Renaults will be sold off. But I would think that they would make sure the driver had enough control of the Renaults first.

Busnerd

Just because they train people on older buses doesnt exactly make them better drivers.

Saying they aren't trained properly on a renault doesn't mean they are crap on a newer bus...

Obviously in that situation it is a new driver, who just needs to be more observant of other drivers.

New buses would probably be easier to drive (in some circumstances) as they are slower and have more features than an old bus would.

Bus 400

What I mean is that I would think that they wouldn't put a new driver onto a new bus until they are competent. As the new buses have more controls & if they wipe out a bus like 752. Then that wouldn't be as bad as wiping out Bus 379 as 752 will just be scrapped.

Busnerd

Yes, that's obvious...

All companies train drivers on older vehicles, because usually they are harder to drive and more basic, plus as you say its less of a loss if something happens if they have an old bus.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mr Snrub on January 29, 2009, 04:35:30 PM
should read
1. Few laps around TISC

5. Driver Training

5. Driver training (TISC)
6. Licence test (TISC)
7. Driver training (ACTION)

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 05, 2009, 10:22:16 PM
What I mean is that I would think that they wouldn't put a new driver onto a new bus until they are competent.
Once you pass your licence test with TISC, you are competent.

Quote from: Busnerd on February 05, 2009, 10:23:59 PM
All companies train drivers on older vehicles, because usually they are harder to drive and more basic.
Good theory - except that the Renault PR100.2's are easier to drive than the rest of ACTION's fleet.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 05, 2009, 10:14:42 PM
On Monday I saw a driver being trained on 385 (the first ride on a MAN bus). He was doing the 08:09 61 to Tuggeranong Interchange. He did almost have the bus taken out while coming out of Kambah onto Athllon Drive, when he attempted to move off as an other car was flying down. But the trainer pointed it out.

But I am wondering at what stage a drivers taught to drive the new buses? As I know it the next 10-15 years all Renaults will be sold off. But I would think that they would make sure the driver had enough control of the Renaults first.

Trainee drivers going through the 3 week ACTION course (which they do after successfully completing their TISC training) are taught to drive ALL types of ACTION buses other than the artics and the white mini buses. That's why you would have seen a trainee in a MAN.

After 5 to 6 months driving with ACTION, new drivers must then do their "artic upgrade" training through ACTION and get a Heavy Rigid Vehicle Licence (TISC assesses this) if they don't already have one.  (Artics require a Heavy Rigid License whereas all the other ACTION bus types just require a Medium Rigid license.)

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 05, 2009, 10:22:16 PM
As the new buses have more controls & if they wipe out a bus like 752.

Rubbish, or only if you count the airconditioning on/off switch. Otherwise all the buses have essentially the same set of controls.

Ed

Quote6. Licence test (TISC)

Once you pass your licence test with TISC, you are competent.

So what happens if you already have a HR licence + O condition, do you get to skip that bit?

Bus 400

Quote from: belcodriver on February 07, 2009, 07:49:49 AM
Rubbish, or only if you count the airconditioning on/off switch. Otherwise all the buses have essentially the same set of controls.

What about the button for lowering the bus (or am I getting confused with other companies, if so my mistake)?

Also depending on how far you want to go back. Bus 389 has one set of controls that Bus 752 doesn't.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 09, 2009, 08:52:49 PM
Quote from: belcodriver on February 07, 2009, 07:49:49 AM

What about the button for lowering the bus (or am I getting confused with other companies, if so my mistake)?

Also depending on how far you want to go back. Bus 389 has one set of controls that Bus 752 doesn't.

Darts and Irises definitely have those, can't remember if Scanias do and don't know about the MANs. But that's still not many more.

Snorzac

MANs have 2 switches that you have to hold down at the same time.

Bus 400

For those future bus drivers I have found a copy of the application form from 2008.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ed

My interview has been confirmed on this Thursday (26th). What sort of questions do they ask you in the interview?

Barry Drive

Quote from: acvbn on February 23, 2009, 10:59:10 AM
My interview has been confirmed on this Thursday (26th). What sort of questions do they ask you in the interview?
The questions asked will be based on the selection criteria (as is the case with all public service jobs), with a strong focus on customer service.

To help you prepare I'll give you one question: why do you want to be an ACTION bus driver?

Buzz Killington

Not knowing your employment history 'acbvn', but if you have any experience in customer service, try to relate your experience to what will be required of you as a bus driver, customer service wise.

Bus 400

Just like how I tweaked my selection criteria to get into Shared Services with TAMS to focus on records management & HR as that it what the role is about.

But I am wondering how would you answer "Knowledge of, or the ability to acquire an understanding of, the operation of an urban transit system, particularly in relation to: routes, timetables, network services and cash handling procedures?"

Buzz Killington

cash handling is easily related back to pretty much any employment that 90% of people would have at some stage in their life.

As for routes... if you've been in canberra a long time, that could always be a help. Timetables - we've all used them as passengers and as students.. I dunno. Interviews are different wherever you go, but I've always found the best way to do it is relate what work you have done in the past (or currently) to the job you're going for.

Bus 400

But I've never used my timetable as I know that most of the time the 62 leaves at either 39 or 32 minutes past the hour (depending on which direction) & the Intertown runs every 5 mins.

The way I have learnt EVERY ACTION route was when I was learning to drive/teaching people to drive.

Buzz Killington

so what if you didnt use a timetable, you just tell them you did.

95% of a job interview is talking out of your ass

Bus 400

& if all else fails, just copy the Pepsi Max ad.