Caswell Drive Duplication @ Glenloch

Started by Buzz Killington, September 08, 2009, 07:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

I'm gunna buck the trend and refer to it by its *actual* name...

GDE Stage 2 starts in two weeks

Released 05/09/2009

The first contract for the $85 million Gungahlin Drive Extension (GDE) Stage 2 works has been awarded to local firm Kenoss Contractors with works to commence in two weeks, Chief Minister and Minister for Territory and Municipal Services Jon Stanhope announced today.

"The ACT Government is investing $16.1 million to duplicate the GDE from Belconnen Way to the Glenloch interchange, as part of the $85 million GDE Stage 2 works," Mr Stanhope said.

"Work on this first section of the duplication will commence in two weeks and be completed in mid 2011.

"The first contract for the GDE Stage 2 works was awarded to local firm Kenoss Contractors.

"The second contract, which will see the duplication of the GDE north of Belconnen Way to the Barton Highway, has also been released for tender.

"Construction is being completed in two parts to minimise disruption to traffic."

Mr Stanhope said the full suite of works would complete the duplication of the GDE from the Barton Highway to the Glenloch Interchange and involve the construction of nine bridges and a number of underpasses.

"The GDE is the largest roadwork project undertaken by the ACT Government and connects the people of Gungahlin with the rest of Canberra," Mr Stanhope said.

"Once completed, dual carriageways will connect the Tuggeranong Parkway to Gungahlin and the Barton Highway.

"The GDE duplication will reduce traffic congestion during peak periods and significantly improve access to Gungahlin's growing community, which is expected to double over the next 20 years."

The Stage 2 works will be completed in May 2012.

Sir Pompously

And when completed the road will probably stay at 80! Would be good to up the speed limit and rename the whole stretch from Glenloch to Barton Hwy 'Gungahlin Parkway', and increase the limit to 90, if not 100.

Although it should have been completed as such to begin with, we can blame the bitching greenies for that! However good to see that the road is now coming together, albeit late.

Buzz Killington

Agree on the Speed Limit. Ridiculous how it keeps changing, especially from tuggers-city (100 down to 80 then back to 90) or city - tuggers (90 down to 80 then back to 90 for a hundred metres then up to 100)

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 08, 2009, 08:05:59 PM
Although it should have been completed as such to begin with, we can blame the bitching greenies for that!

Glad somebody else sees it my way...

Bus 400

Interesting to note is that the contract includes removal of the old William Hovell Bridge within Glenloch Interchange.

Irisbus Rider

Am I having a blond moment? Isn't the road already duplicated from Belconnen Way to Glenloch Interchange?

I'm all for the second contract, duplication between the Barton Hwy and Belconnen Way would be nice.

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 08, 2009, 08:05:59 PMAlthough it should have been completed as such to begin with, we can blame the bitching greenies for that!
I think, generally speaking, most of Canberra (anyone not living around the O'Connor Ridge area) agree on that.
Well, in addition to that, it should have been completed without the road art, something that contradicts with road safety rules about keeping your eyes on the road.

Buzz Killington

yeah, i assume it just means duplication at the interchange.

belcodriver

It's not really the 'bitching greenies' fault. The GDE was originally meant to go between Haydon Dr and the AIS but the federal govt canned that idea after the AIS whined that their poor fragile elite athletes would be too upset by the extra noise and/or pollution.

ajw373

Quote from: belcodriver on September 09, 2009, 11:51:37 AM
It's not really the 'bitching greenies' fault. The GDE was originally meant to go between Haydon Dr and the AIS but the federal govt canned that idea after the AIS whined that their poor fragile elite athletes would be too upset by the extra noise and/or pollution.

It wasn't quite as black and white as that at all. Sure the prefered route was to the west of the AIS, but the delays and extra costs were caused 100% by the 'bitching' greenies (living on O'conner etc).

What I find ironic is how people such as those living on the ridge call for a stop to development in pristine bush land yet fail to recognise that their own homes were once part of this pristine bushland.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: ajw373 on November 02, 2009, 09:41:38 PMWhat I find ironic is how people such as those living on the ridge call for a stop to development in pristine bush land yet fail to recognise that their own homes were once part of this pristine bushland.
Ha ha! So true, so very true.

It's strange, as I travel through there, it tells me the Roadwork speed limit is 80km/h. It.......was.......always.........80km/h  ???

ajw373

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on November 03, 2009, 12:11:48 AM
Ha ha! So true, so very true.

It's strange, as I travel through there, it tells me the Roadwork speed limit is 80km/h. It.......was.......always.........80km/h  ???

Maybe they are getting smart and only lowering the speed limit when there is actually a need to. In many cases people disobey roadworks speed limits because they set them at stupid speeds (40km/h) even though work has finished for the day.

Irisbus Rider

That thought crossed my mind, and it is definately a good idea.

Come to think of it, every time I have driven through there, it has been very late in the evening, hmmmmmmm.