The Neverending Story Part VI: Light Rail in the ACT

Started by Bus 400, April 09, 2009, 07:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

The ACT Government Light Rail Submission to Infrastructure Australia has been published on the TAMS website-http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/light_rail

Buzz Killington

So what are everyone's thoughts on Light Rail?

I guess it has potential for the intertown if it is able to cut travel times from say, tuggeranong to belconnen or majura.

Bus 400

After being directed to the O Bahn system off Riot ACT, I am thinking that the O Bahn system may be best for Canberra's population.

Buzz Killington

How so? It's essentially a bus way isn't it? I don't know much about light rail but surely it would be speedier than a bus.

Bus 400

Yeah it is, but doesn't need a s much installation work, so it should have cheaper installation costs & lower running costs. They are guided & the buses able to go as fast as 100k's per hour.

Irisbus Rider

Ugh, finally, yes, Busways are the answer. Have been saying that for a long time!
While Light Rail would be nice, it isn't exactly viable for another few years, while our employment nodes grow a little bit more.

Snorzac

I have to say the O Bahn is a great idea, it is essentially a light rail but can go off the tracks and work as a normal vehicle. You could have the tracks down the intertown and then it can come off the tracks and branch into the suburbs.

Buzz Killington

It could be a viable alternative if implemented properly.

Bus 400

Also being cheaper means that it could be expanded to my "Light Rail" system along Northbourne Ave, Adelaide Ave, Tuggeranong Parkway, Belconnen Way.

Irisbus Rider

Yes, and done correctly, can be beter than Light Rail, i.e. passenger safety ensured at stops, appropriate and sufficient passenger information, etc.

Stops, themselves, can't be just a peg, or a bus stop sign.
2 shelters at least, passenger information, security camera(s), a row of benches, real time passenger information. The Parramatta to Liverpool Transitway is a great example of how stops on a transitway should appear.

Barry Drive

O-Bahns are a waste of money. A properly built busway will work just as well, if not better and all buses can use them.

route56

lightrail would be great for the act. id rather go from one side of canberra to the other on a tram that took 20 minutes than on a bus. the buses have to share the roads with cars and in peak hours they always run late.

the trams can also carry more people than buses. i think that people who would never get on a bus would use trams. that would increase public transport use overall and that is a good thing.

Irisbus Rider

You do have a point, people who have never used a bus will get Light Rail. There seems to be some sort of view that buses are slow and dirty, but the thing is, buses can be just as good as Light Rail, if they got their own dedicated Bus only lane, they would not be held up by traffic.