ARHS ACT - 3016 Bungendore Day Train

Started by Sir Pompously, June 09, 2009, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

On Sunday I was able to get out on the Bungendore Market Train with two of my friends in tow. Leading the train was Steam Locomotive 3016, with 4 carriages from Set 52, which are old wooden carriages that used to plow suburban Sydney (a 5 carraige set, however only 4 are at ARHS Canberra, the 5th is at the Yass Railway Museum). Here are a few photos from the day, more can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kommissar_todd06/sets/72157601371394827/

A View of 3016 at Canberra Railway Station

As the train is shunting, hand signals are used to indicate the train is all clear, and to stop. I am unsure of this one, I will have to ask one of my friend that work for RailCorp as they may know.

A View through the doorway to Carriage 4 in Set 52. The seating inside the carriage have various imprints in the vinyl, PTC NSW, NSW TD, NSW GR, and SRA NSW

A View of the ACT Coat of Arms on 3016

A View of the train at Bungendore

A View of the Lever Frame at Bungendore

Buzz Killington

haha, i love the word "shunting"

great photos. Its interesting how we've gone back to the past in a way, by having the Coat of Arms returning to our public transport after so many years.

Sir Pompously

AFAIK, Both 73 class diesel's, 1210 and 3016 all have the ACT Coat of Arms.

Bus 400

I was told by my Grandfather (who did work on the railways back in the 1950's), that the man when his hands up means STOP. But he couldn't 100% remember. As to go means you wave one arm & others I have forgotten.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, 'Shunting' lol.
BTW, that's a magnificent photo too (the shunting one).

Nice work Todd.

smitho

"As the train is shunting, hand signals are used to indicate the train is all clear, and to stop. I am unsure of this one, I will have to ask one of my friend that work for RailCorp as they may know".

As I recall, that's the hand signal for STOP.

The Canberra Coat of Arms stickers which ARHS has used on its locos for many years come from a stock which were provided to the Society by COS/ACTION after the bus service no longer had a need for them - they became surplus when the ACTION logo began to be applied to the former Canberra Omnibus Service fleet (at the same time as the orange and blue livery was adopted).

History went full circle several years ago when the Canberra Coat of Arms appeared on the side of the Scania fleet (and the Iris buses too I think).