Shorelink MkI Farewell Tour

Started by Irisbus Rider, September 09, 2008, 10:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisbus Rider

Just in case some of you didn't come along, here are a few shots from the tour;

So, basically, the dark blue one is owned by "Simes", and the other one is the Shorelink one.
If you didn't know, MkIs were the first Mercs bought by the STA, and they had the O305 chassis, with the PMC MkI style body.
These buses are incredibly iconic in Sydney, as this was the new era of passenger bus travel, and a welcome break from the jerky and dismal Leylands, which these buses replaced.
Instead, Merc had beautiful soft suspension, plenty of power, and a smooth as gearbox. The incredible thing about these beasts, they're still going after 30 + years. Truly fantastic buses, and to farewell the last passenger bus MkI in Sydney is an end of an era.

Enough talk, photo time!

Our first stop.

The rears.

Drivers area. To the drivers dissapointment, not a Peppermint Roll in sight!

Interior.

At the QVB in the middle of the Sydney CBD.

At the bus museum. That first bus in the line-up features the original MkI livery.

The museum again, with all the MkIIs out of service.

Our last stop, Bronte, I think.
Photo taken by "Constantly Leighking" I think. (Who I still need to relay many photos to, sorry :-[ )

Was a great day, and I'd highly recommend any upcoming tour in Sydney.

Thanks for looking!

And go O305s!

Simes

Thanks for reminding me I gotta fix that pole! A "new" steering wheel wouldn't go astray either.
I have to say I was impressed with the old girls performance - expect to see her out on Oz Day!

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, yeah, that pole is in quite a precarious position.

Yeah, it went really well, and hats off to Ken who negotiated it out of the yard at Terrey Hills for at least 10 mins. After all that, not one scratch! And it was quite a tight squeeze.
But what a beast, you picked well, Simes; it's a good bus.

Buzz Killington

Great photos John. I remember getting a few O.305's when ACTION had them, as late as 1999.

Simes

Quote from: Renault Rider on September 10, 2008, 12:49:44 PM
Ha ha, yeah, that pole is in quite a precarious position.

Yeah, it went really well, and hats off to Ken who negotiated it out of the yard at Terrey Hills for at least 10 mins. After all that, not one scratch! And it was quite a tight squeeze.
But what a beast, you picked well, Simes; it's a good bus.

Cheers, glad everyone enjoyed their ride, if you like it now, wait til I get it tuned to perform, rather than the current, tuned for 2 country school runs a day (it was the spare , spare, spare down at Wagga)

Irisbus Rider