Bushfire Update

Started by Bus 400, January 29, 2009, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

As a member of the ACT Rural Fire Service I'll give you an update on the smoke aorund the ACT.

Batemans Bay Fire (Budawang National Park)-This fire is currently heading west & is about 50k's from the nearest road. I was told that if a strong north wester comes through, Kings Highway will be shut & Batemans Bay will be on the brink of evacuation.
However during the next few days some smaller places will be evacuated. With some getting prepared.

Merimbula/Pambula Fire-This fire is also out of control & will be declared a section 44 fire, which means that it is one of the worst with help being asked from anywhere. I am not 100% sure on the direction of this fire. However it also getting the easterly's.
Crews will be sent from the ACT to this fire on Saturday for 3 days.

The smoke that is currently in Canberra is mainly from the Merimbula Fire, with some smoke also coming over from Batemans Bay.

Sir Pompously

Yes well seeing as though the ACT Fire Brigade website is so craptastic, I took a look at the NSW RFS Site and found some good information on the fires around this region. http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Good work to the Fire Crews dealing with these fires, they do a bang up job

Buzz Killington

they do good work.

hopefully with another hot week ahead the fires stay the hell away from us.

Bus 400

Especially if you have been out in thr Brindabella lately as valley after valley after valley of tall dead trees or not ground litter & lots in the trees (creates the worse fires).

lukeo25

i've bushwalked in the budawangs near wog wog last yr with outdoor ed and the weather was **** (i think you what i am saying) and wet

Bus 400

A current update on all big fires in NSW is now on http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=684.

A brief is that Merimbula is out of control. Batemans Bay is controlled & still burning this way. One fire in Tumut had fireies pulled out due to safety concerns. Other 2 are all right but uncontrolled.