Hackett Terminus

Started by 743, July 19, 2010, 09:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

While browsing ACT Bus this evening I came across a photograph of what is called Hackett Terminus on Madigan Street, at that small loop road kind of opposite the IGA.

It's clearly a former terminus, but I'm wondering if anyone might have any history on this - like what service ever used to terminate in Hackett, and during what time period? I don't know too much about Canberra yet but it kind of seems like a strange place to have ever finished a run when the major centre, Dickson, is so close. Or was there a point in time when Hackett was developed but Dickson not so much?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious elsewhere, so feel free to point me in the right direction if I am!

Thanks  :)

Barry Drive

Take a look here at the 1977 and 1979 bus maps.

When Hackett terminus was last in use, route 25 travelled from City via Ipima St/Cowper St to Dickson Shops and then terminated at Hackett Shops. Route 28 which also travelled through Hackett and Ainslie (similar to current route 2) turned right at Antill St and terminated at Watson (but didn't go to Dickson).

From the 1968 bus map, you can see that the 28 used to terminate at Hackett.

Hope this helps.

belcodriver

What an interesting map. When was Woden interchange opened? Where was it? Am I correct in thinking the current one was built at the same time as Woden Plaza in the mid/late 70s?

Thanks for your help, MyWay - didn't know those maps were there. Much appreciated!

As for Woden Interchange - ACTION has a little on the website - http://www.action.act.gov.au/doc/aboutus/history.pdf - page three has a brief history of the development of the Interchange.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: belcodriver on July 21, 2010, 09:47:15 AM
What an interesting map. When was Woden interchange opened? Where was it? Am I correct in thinking the current one was built at the same time as Woden Plaza in the mid/late 70s?

From the ACT Bus page on Woden Interchange:

Woden Interchange was originally on Melrose Drive near the Woden Town Centre, from March 1968. The new interchange was installed after the Woden-City express route began. This was just designed as a temporary solution until the permanent interchange was constructed in Bradley St Woden. This was one of the first purpose built interchanges in the country. Woden Interchange as we know it today was officially opened on December 4th, 1972. In 1982 the interchange was expanded to cater for new services to Tuggeranong.

http://actbus.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=101