ACT Bus Forum

Discussion => News => Topic started by: Bus 400 on October 16, 2009, 10:56:56 AM

Title: Unbraked Bus Incident 'Lesson To Other Drivers'
Post by: Bus 400 on October 16, 2009, 10:56:56 AM
Quote from: ABC NewsUnbraked bus incident 'lesson to other drivers'
An ACT magistrate has found an ACTION bus driver, whose vehicle crashed into a medical centre in Canberra's north, failed to comply with his safety duty.
Michael Wallace Smith was sitting in the driver's seat at the Kippax Fair in Holt last year after passengers had vacated his bus.
At sometime he pulled on the handbrake, then got off the bus and locked the doors.
The bus then rolled down the road for about 35 metres, narrowly missing a bus stop full of people and crashing into a medical centre.
No one was injured.
Magistrate Beth Campbell said Smith - who had more than 30 years experience - had somehow disengaged the park brake, possibly absent-mindedly.
She did not record a conviction but placed him on a 12 month good behaviour order.
She said she hoped the case acts as a lesson to other drivers and that ACTION would now issue clear directions to its drivers to ensure they check their braking systems.
Title: Re: Unbraked Bus Incident 'Lesson To Other Drivers'
Post by: euronymous on January 30, 2010, 01:21:27 AM
Ahh...the shitstorm this incident has caused seems never ending. I'm fairly aware of the details (it is more involved than the article says) but I am hesitant to divulge.
Title: Re: Unbraked Bus Incident 'Lesson To Other Drivers'
Post by: Buzz Killington on January 30, 2010, 08:38:07 AM
Best not to go into too much detail on that one.