Previous topic - Next topic

What do you prefer?

Belconnen Interchange
11 (61.1%)
Belconnen Stations
7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Buzz Killington

Now that we've had a few days, what are people's early thoughts? Are the interim stations an improvement over the interchange?

Bus 400

I like that the bus stations are newer, but the Interchange was good in the fact that as intertown/Xpresso services pulled, passengers walked down hill to their suburban connection.

Snorzac

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 28, 2009, 07:18:18 PM
I like that the bus stations are newer, but the Interchange was good in the fact that as intertown/Xpresso services pulled, passengers walked down hill to their suburban connection.
What do you mean down the hill to suburban connections

Buzz Killington

i assumed he meant down the interchange to another platform

Bus 400

Well the old interchange his on a down hill gradient with Platform 16 being the highest point & Platform 2 being the lowest point.

So most Intertown/Xpreeso services usually terminate towards the highest end & & passenger would walk down hill. Also when services would drop off at Platform 15 & passengers would walk down hill to the Intertown/Xpresso services.

Snorzac

Yes....it was so hilly  ::)

Bus 400

One thing I have noticed in bus stations favor occurred today. Now everyone knows how bus stations have those new bollard style bus stops. While interchanges have those signs that buses love smashing into. Well today the platform details were updated at Woden Interchange to finally include Route 88/988, but also for the changes to weekend platforms. Platform 7 at City Interchange is still waiting on its update involving the 80/780.

Where as most bollard stops in Canberra have already been changed over, as it is far more easier to change the bollard signs-interchange supervisors can do this themselves.

Irisbus Rider

Bus stations allow for a greater coverage area of public transport. Now, North Belconnnen has a decent service, opposed to the 313/13 and the 17 which used to service Cohen St.
All the public need to do is get their heads out of their a*se and learn to read the passenger information avaliable to them.

Sir Pompously

I have to say multiple Bus Stations located throughout the Town Centre is better than having one single interchange. However, the facilities at the current stations are rather lacking. The Temporary stations I can understand, however Cohen Street is a permanent station with very little protection from the elements. Mr 'Wow, Irisbus steering/braking/doors/bell/rattle' Tokaji had the right idea to say a Tuggeranong Interchange style roof would be better over platforms 1 and 2. Platforms 3, 4, 5 and 6 should have extra Adshel's provided Wynyard style with multiple shelters side by side. One small shelter does not provide any protection for the elements, and can ultimately be a turn off for using the stations. Another problem is during a weekday, Intertown services leave from two platforms at Cohen Street. They should only leave from one Platform, not two. Some stations also require idiot proof fencing in the median, to prevent people killing themselves after getting the MACK and Renault logos imprinted into their heads. It will end up being 'Civic Interchange Syndrome' where people end up crossing the road willy nilly and don't bother looking to see if a big friggen orange bus is coming in their direction.....

The location of the Temporary and eventually the permanent stations is a good choice, it provides access to the North, South and Central regions of the Town Centre. It also spreads the flow of passengers evenly. However for the permanent stations improvements need to be made to the shelter, this isn't a 365 days a year city where the weather is perfect. I would also like to see a main supervisors office, with CCTV footage, along with each station and platform having a PA System which can be used to inform passengers from the remote office situated close to one of the Stations. Or it could be situated at a Station with a main information and ticket selling office, with Lost property facilities similar to the old Interchange (Continues dreaming).

Brisbane's idea of Bus Stations is the best example. The design of the station incorporates DDA Accessibility, shelter from weather (Continuous shelter structure along entire length of platform), Emergency Help Points, Many security cameras, Decent lighting, fencing to prevent Illegal crossings and simple passenger information signage, and displays. Of course this is designed to Busway's, DDA Accessibility such as Lifts and overpasses would not be required for somewhere like Cameron Ave.

So who knows what is in stall with the other permanent stations, Westfield will probably cheap out. For that we can blame Zacca.

Ed

Bus 400

Since going along on different types of shifts I've noticed one huge thing in bus stations favour.

With barely any shelter at Belconnen's Bus Stations, Interchange scum have no where to hang out. This is also partly the case at City Interchange as it really only has those weird shelters or that big old building.

While at Woden & Tuggeranong Interchanges, they have huge uncover areas to hang around & talk about ***************. With Supervisors having to deal with them later. That is why Belconnen Bus Stations have been designed like that. Probably Cameron Ave stands 4 & 5 should have at least an AdShel each.

But with 3 bus stations, the Interchange Supervisors for Belconnen have no gone mobile. Now I've been told what it was like to be a super at Woden, sitting around & having fun (which I won't say what). But all that fun is now gone.

CNG

The belconen interchange should not have been pulled down at all, it was perfectly fine and all it needed was a couple of touch ups. Belconen town centre is now stuffed up because of these bus stations. Thanks to jon stanhope.

Snorzac

it's perfectly fine. It functions well. I have not spoken to a driver with any complaints about it and the only passenger complaints are about the lack of shelter at these bus stations.

Busnerd

I, and everyone else agree with Zac