ACT Chief Minister and Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, Katy Gallagher, has labelled the opening weekend of the ACT Government’s Nightrider bus service a resounding success.
“A total of 548 people used the Nightrider service on Friday and Saturday night. This is one of the busiest opening weekends in the history of the service,” the Chief Minister said.
“This compares to the 59 people who used the service on its opening weekend last year.
“Feedback suggests that people were well aware of the service and were happy with the reduced price of $5.
“This year the ACT Government is focusing the service on the traditionally busy weekends in December which has enabled the marketing campaign to be more targeted. I also thank Civic businesses and industry groups such as the Australian Hotels Association for getting behind the service as a convenient and responsible way for patrons to get home after a night out,” Chief Minister said.
The service is being provided by ACTION buses and will operate again on 16-17 December, 23 December and 30-31 December 2011.
Departing from Platform 7 at the City Bus Station, eight Nightrider routes will take passengers home every 90 minutes between 1 am and 4.45 am with extra services to operate on New Year’s Eve.
The Nightrider routes will service suburbs in Belconnen, Gungahlin, Inner-North, Inner-South, Woden and Tuggeranong, dropping passengers at the bus stop nearest to their home.
Each bus has CCTV facilities and ACTION supervisors will be within the City Bus Station to assist with marshalling.
More information on Nightrider is available at www.transport.act.gov.au.