ACT Treasurer Andrew Barr today handed down the 2013-14 ACT Budget, with some modest expenditure marked out for the region’s bus system.
Minister for Territory and Municipal Services Shane Rattenbury welcomed the budget, saying “It is essential that we continue to make Canberra’s public transport more attractive and accessible for the community. As well as progressing the Government’s light rail project, the Budget funds important initiatives to help ACTION attract and retain commuters”.
- $2,600,000 for MyWay system management.
- $2,500,000 for the design of a new Woden Interchange to improve safety and transport infrastructure, as well as support urban development opportunities in the town centre, similar to the recent improvements in Belconnen.
- $2,000,000 for bus stop upgrades to improve accessibility.
- $620,000 over four years to reduce the qualifying age for Seniors Gold Cards from 75 to 70 to provide free bus travel for an additional 9,000 members of the community.
- $475,000 to continue ACTION’s program of reconditioning and replacing major bus components (engines, transmissions, differentials)
- $410,000 to continue the free Centenary Bus Loop (Route 100) until the end of 2013.
- $300,000 to upgrade the Belconnen Depot workshop area
- $275,000 to upgrade CCTV systems at all bus stations
- $275,000 to trial fare discounts and extended off-peak period to encourage new patronage and ease peak hour congestion.
- $250,000 for refurbishments at Belconnen Bus Depot
- $250,000 for ACTION’s bus seat refurbishment program
- $250,000 for refurbishments at Tuggeranong Bus Depot
- $190,000 (in addition to $2.8m over four years in recurrent funding) for the design and installation of real-time information digital displays at major bus stations and bus stops, with the first of these operational by the end of 2013.
- $120,000 for the development of design studies for ‘bike and ride’ and ‘park and ride’ facilities at Erindale, Wanniassa and Gungahlin.
Discuss this topic at our forum
This page was last updated on 4 June 2013