Are these bus stop remnants?

Started by Sylvan Loves Buses, July 17, 2024, 12:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

Had to check to make sure these stops hadn't been mentioned before, as far as I can tell they haven't but maybe I didn't look for long enough. Every now and again I will see evidence of what appears to be old bus stops that haven't been used in at least 30 years, I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on the history (if any) of these presumed stop locations. Last known year of use and/or which routes used them. Thanks.

Kambah (Drakeford Drive) near the underpass between Athllon and Namadgi

Phillip (Melrose Drive) behind Corinna Street

Bruce (Haydon Drive, near CIT) after Battye Street - This one only appears on this side

State Circle

Acton (Kuttabul Place) next to Parkes Way overpass

While I think of it, can someone also tell me exactly where the CSIRO stop was for the old 81 route. Never been able to figure out where that was.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 17, 2024, 12:30:14 PMWhile I think of it, can someone also tell me exactly where the CSIRO stop was for the old 81 route. Never been able to figure out where that was.
The pole for that stop is still there (just without the flag) - Tourist Dr 2
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4gXYT2CmZBjnGH3H6?g_st=ac

lukeo25

There are 3 unused stops on Sheppard St in Hume (if I remember correctly they are marked on the road as such) from when the 88 looped around at Chisholm shops before going back up to Hume.

triumph

Concrete pad adjacent 2 Moroney St Spence. Last route use end 1998/early 1999

Sylvan Loves Buses

Dudes what the hell, you're on the wrong page. Unless you've got an answer to my above 5 stops, that stuff belongs here...

Quote from: 743 on July 17, 2024, 12:43:08 PMThe pole for that stop is still there (just without the flag) - Tourist Dr 2
After checking a few timetables, turns out I was looking for the Botanical Gardens Stop, not CSIRO. I assume it's this given the road layout, but I will definitely have to go look for myself with this one. Thought the little kink on the timetable maps was further up, that's why I got confused, thanks though.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 17, 2024, 12:30:14 PMState Circle
Not entirely sure when it stopped being used, but Route 230 used this stop in 1997.

In 1999, 230 became 30 and was re-routed to use the south-side of State Circle, and 31 went via (New) Parliament House.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 18, 2024, 03:40:36 AMDudes what the hell, you're on the wrong page. Unless you've got an answer to my above 5 stops, that stuff belongs here...
After checking a few timetables, turns out I was looking for the Botanical Gardens Stop, not CSIRO. I assume it's this given the road layout, but I will definitely have to go look for myself with this one. Thought the little kink on the timetable maps was further up, that's why I got confused, thanks though.

The Botanical Gardens stop was within the gardens car park area and still basically exists, complete with shelter. No doubt still used by the private attractions bus service.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Aha, I had a feeling there were a couple others. I feel like I've probably asked about some of these before but don't recall any answers. If these stops I'm bringing up aren't actually real, predate bus timetables to verify, had only school runs on them or the persons who probably did know are dead, please let me know anyway as any information is helpful.

Two extras I remembered this evening, both in Narrabundah:
McIntyre Street

Sturt Ave

I'm familiar with pretty much every other bus stop that's been disused in Canberra, only these 7 stops I cannot identify their origins/existence without help. 25+ year old unused bus stop information is not easy to come by anymore, especially since RATEC disbanded.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 17, 2024, 12:30:14 PMKambah (Drakeford Drive) near the underpass between Athllon and Namadgi

Route 160 used this stop (and its counterpart on the opposite side) in 1989.

The 333 would have also passed by, but I doubt it would have stopped there.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 21, 2024, 09:03:28 PMSturt Ave
These stops were still being used by Route 311 until Network '98.
https://www.actbus.net/timetables/1997/300.pdf
The map is a little unclear, but the bus would switch from the main Sturt Ave carriageway to the serviceway by turning at Boolimba Cres.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Might find some other interesting things in that, thanks for the prompt.

Buzz Killington

I'll try to look into the others when time permits - we do have more timetables than what are currently available on the website.

May also make for an interesting feature article for the website at some point too.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 21, 2024, 09:03:28 PMMcIntyre Street
Late 80s.

In 1987 there were two routes to Narrabundah Terminus (via Kingston): 352 went past Griffith Shops, then McIntyre St, Sturt Ave, Tallara Parkway and on to the Terminus. 353 after Kingston travelled Canberra Ave  McMillan Cres and then past Narrabundah Shops.

In 1988, 352 and 353 were combined to form a single route which turned left into McKinlay St then McMillan. The stop on McIntyre was moved to its current location since the new route no longer travelled past it. This route would initially terminate at Red Hill, but was later extended to Woden as Route 238: which became 38 and then 5.