As part of the formal Parliamentary Agreement between Katy Gallagher and Shane Rattenbury, ACT Labor has agreed to support or implement the following initiatives regarding public transport in the ACT:
- Progress a light rail network for Canberra by:
- Establishing a statutory independent authority to implement the light rail project and associated development in the corridor;
- undertaking the necessary design studies, preparatory works, financing, procurement and tendering arrangements, with a traget date for the laying of tracks for the first route commencing in 2016;
- creating a Canberra wide light rail network master plan.
- Over four years, provide at least an additional $24 million to fund new and improved bus routes (in addition to commitments to a centenary loop), including:
- more frequent buses to and from Belconnen, Tuggeranong, Gungahlin, Weston Creek and Woden suburbs;
- measures to address overcrowding on current routes;
- improved school bus services (including an ACT wide school transport study).
- Build new ‘park and rides’ and ‘bike and rides’ at Erindale, Southern Athllon Drive, central Gungahlin, Weston Creek and Molonglo.
Additionally, ACT Labor commits to:
- Improve public transport provision in the ACT by establishing the ACT’s first large-scale private sector partnership to plan, finance and develop the first stage of a Light Rail Network for Canberra – Capital Metro.
- Continue to invest in and expand ACTION bus networks on the rapid routes and other routes of high demand.
This page was last updated on 3 November 2012