Since their introduction in 1975, the bunker shelter has become synonymous with Canberra. Designed by architect Clem Cummings in 1974 for the National Capital Development Commission, close to 500 were installed around Canberra.
When Ainslie Depot opened in June 1929, it consisted of two garages, which originally came from the Molonglo Construction camp near the present suburb of Fyshwick. Two more garages and a workshop were added in the early 1930’s. (more…)