Media Release: Simon Corbell MLA
Community feedback is being sought on proposed changes to ACTION bus network, Minister for Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS), Simon Corbell, said today.
“A number of improvements have been identified to the ACTION bus network for 2012 and we are now asking the travelling public to provide feedback,” Mr Corbell said.
“Network improvements are proposed for services operating in Kippax; Gungahlin; Central Canberra; Fyshwick and Majura Park. A high frequency link between Woden and the Canberra Hospital has also been proposed.
“Identified improvements include:
- extension of the Blue Rapid to Kippax providing a direct link between Kippax, Belconnen, the City, Woden and Tuggeranong;
- provision of services in new suburbs in Gungahlin such as Forde, Bonner and Casey;
- redesign of routes in Central Canberra to enhance services to the City, Australian National University and National Museum of Australia;
- increased frequency of services to Majura Park; and
- enhanced services to and through Fyshwick.
“Maps of the proposed changes can be viewed online at www.transport.act.gov.au or by visiting any Canberra Connect Shopfront or MyWay Centre.
“Network 12 is expected to be implemented in May 2012 with new timetables distributed two weeks prior to new services commencing.”
Mr Corbell said the ACT Government is committed to improving bus services in the ACT which is reflected in the recently released draft Transport for Canberra policy.
“The policy document also has the goal of getting 23 percent of Canberrans to use public transport, walk or cycle to and from work by 2016 which will help manage congestion on our roads while also reducing carbon emissions.
“I encourage all bus commuters and interested people to view the proposed changes for the bus network and provide their feedback by Friday 25 November 2011.”
Comments can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to: Public Transport Systems, Territory and Municipal Services, PO Box 158, Canberra, ACT, 2601.