Media Release: Amanda Bresnan MLA
ACT Greens Transport spokesperson and Member for Brindabella, Amanda Bresnan MLA, says that the Government’s final year Budget must address transport disadvantage in Canberra’s suburbs.
The ACT Greens have made bids to the Government’s 2012-13 Budget, calling for a $15m investment into transport in neglected areas of Canberra.
“Our bids focus on Tuggeranong and Weston Creek, two areas that have been long neglected, and which received no new services in ACTION’s Network 2012 Improvements,” Ms Bresnan said.
“Tuggeranong has long missed out on any major transport improvements. This is unacceptable; it should be a priority in our transport investment.
“It’s also clear that Weston Creek is one of the worst serviced group centres when it comes to public transport.
“We’re pushing for major bus service upgrades, bus stops, new park and ride spaces, and walking and cycling infrastructure. They’ll mean more frequent and faster buses, a better walking and cycling environment, and an easing of driving and parking congestion.”
In the 2011-12 Budget the Greens lobbied successfully for new rapid bus services into West Belconnen.
“The Government has one Budget left before this Assembly term ends. The Greens will press the Government to invest in new and improved transport services in these areas of need.
“The options for travelling around our city need to be improved. The initiatives we’re asking for would benefit everyone – public transport users, other road users, pedestrians, older people and children,” Ms Bresnan concluded.
The Greens’ transport bids include:
- Tuggeranong – $9m for:
– expanded frequent bus services into Tuggeranong suburbs;
– park and ride services at the Erindale Centre;
– upgraded pedestrian and cycling routes around the Erindale Centre, and a pedestrian/cycle path linking Erindale to Tuggeranong Town Centre.
- Weston Creek – $6m for:
– extension of the rapid bus network to Cooleman Court, to provide 15 minute frequency to Woden and the Blue Rapid line and upgrades to the Brierly Street bus stop
– new peak hour services to link residents to the City and Parliamentary triangle;
– Park and Ride services for Weston Creek (and new Molonglo suburbs).