Between 1993 and 1996, 42 Renault PR100.3 buses were delivered to ACTION. All of these buses sport the Austral Denning “Starliner” body (from Brisbane), but there were 5 distinct varieties of these vehicles.
The first bus to be built was Bus 991 (build date: June 1993) – it was powered by Compressed Natural Gas. A second CNG bus, Bus 990 was delivered in 1994. These buses are also referred to as PR100.3NGV. Both of these buses were later converted to run on diesel and were eventually withdrawn from service in 2014.
Following 991 were 4 prototype PR100.3s – 992 to 995 – built in 1993. Buses 996 onwards used a new Euro II spec engine and had upgraded brakes. These buses were gradually withdrawn from the fleet from 2014 with the last bus (116) withdrawn in 2020.
In June 1994, Bus 113 was built as a prototype wheelchair-accessible bus with step-less entry and electric ramp. A further six wheelchair-accessible buses (126 -131) entered service in 1996; these buses had a different interior layout to 113 and were fitted with plug doors. Collectively these seven buses are referred to as PR100.3a. After low-floor chassis buses began being purchased, all of the PR100.3a were modified to remove the interior wheelchair bays and access ramps. Buses 126 to 131 were withdrawn between 2013 and 2016 with Bus 113 withdrawn in 2020.
- ACT Bus Gallery – PR100.3 | PR100.3NGV | PR100.3a
- ACT Bus Wiki – Bus 990 | Bus 991 | PR100.3 | PR100.3a
- PR100.3 NGV specifications on ACT Bus website
- PR100.3 specifications on ACT Bus website
- PR100.3a specifications on ACT Bus website
- “End of an era” article on ACT Bus
Related Featured Bus articles:
- Jan 2011 – Bus 990 (PR100.3NGV)
- Mar 2011 – Bus 113 (prototype PR100.3a)
- May 2014 – Bus 130 (PR100.3a)
- Mar/Apr 2016 – Bus 108 (PR100.3)
- May/Jun 2017 – Bus 992 (prototype PR100.3)
Hello there! If you would like to make suggestions for future articles or let us know more information about this topic, click on Contact Us below, or subscribe to our forum.