From the commencement of the Canberra Bus Service in 1926 until the 1970s, the vast majority of buses in the fleet were supplied by AEC (Associated Equipment Company) of England. A total of 323 vehicles were ordered from this supplier and its subsidiaries.


In order of delivery, the AEC Buses which operated in the Canberra fleet were:

  • 1926, AEC Renown 411 – 5 buses
  • 1928-29, ADC Renown ¹ 413 – 3 buses
  • 1933-48, AEC Regal – 46 buses
  • 1936, AEC Mercury (school bus) – 1 bus
  • 1948-51, AEC Regal III – 46 buses
  • 1956-68, AEC Reliance – 120 buses
  • 1968-75, AEC Swift – 101 buses
  • 1974, Thornycroft Trident ² – 1 bus

1 – ADC (Associated Daimler Company) was a short-lived joint venture between AEC and Daimler
2 – Thornycroft was acquired by AEC in 1961, the Trident being one of the last vehicles made under the Thornycroft badge.

Further details:

Related Featured Bus articles:

Hello there! If you would like to make suggestions for future articles or let us know more information about this topic, click on Contact Us below, or subscribe to our forum.

Categories: Featured Bus